Old games sounds and SFX

Started by
27 comments, last by red_produkt 17 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by The C modest god
I dont know how to use these dll plugins in windows?

Typically you need a host program, like Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo....all those progs. But I found something I love to use that could benefit you if you wanted to try out those VSTs.

Try downloading this:

Tobybear MiniHost

What it does is allow you to open any VST .dll like it was in a host program. It has a lot of cool extras like direct QWERTY to MIDI input, an arpeggiator, chord maker, and you can record any of the sounds directly from within the program.

I use it when I want to go searching through all my VST instruments quickly and cleanly, like testing out stompboxes. Just pop those *.dll's in a folder, open up MiniHost and go to open VST and find that folder.

Best of all, it's free! Actually, after checking it out for only a few hours I sent in the recommended paypal "donation" of $20. Easily worth it's value I say.

You will need ASIO drivers, so if you need that you can try

Asio4All

Good luck!

Tony

Advertisement
f for frequency
t is in seconds
a is amplitude

Would the triangle be:

g(t) = a*t*f*4 if 0

Would the square be:

g(t) = a if 0

And all the sounds in NES are of these two waves just with different f and a?
Also, you said the music is a fast sequence of sounds that does not intersect with each other (in respect to time)?
However, there are also acords? so there are blending of several different triangle waves with different frequencies?
By the way, the sqaure wave sounds horrible on high frequency so was it used only with low frequency?

Also, how do I make the white noise?

It didnt present the formula correctly
(Why there is no preview to anonymous posters?)

The triangle

g(t) = a*t*f*4 if 0<
Last try:

Triangle:
g(t) = a*t*f*4 if f*t in [0, 0.25]
a*(1-(t-0.25)*f*4) if f*t in [0.25, 0.75]
a*((t-0.75)*f*4-1) if f*t in [0.75, 1]

Square:
g(t) = a if f*t in [0, 0.5]
0 if f*t in [0.5, 0]
Typically you need a host program, like Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo....all those progs. But I found something I love to use that could benefit you if you wanted to try out those VSTs.

Not to sound completely stupid- but I've never had much luck with VSTs and Sonar. I have Sonar 4 Studio and and downloaded things like Peach and Toad (popular NES-like VSTs) and never got them to work properly.

I've tried looking in the help section- but can you give me some clues?

Thanks!

Nathan Madsen
www.madsenstudios.com

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Well you need to use a VST wrapper. Pretty sure the Cakewalk one is on the disc. You run it, point it to the folders where you downloaded the VST .dlls and it pops them in Sonar.

Then start Sonar, go to INSERT > DXI Synth > VST

Then all the VST's that the wrapper found will be accessible to the prog. You'll see your DX instruments there regardless of where they are on your drive.

FUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUNF

Tony
I have a request.
I want to download music and effects files (preferably .wav not mp3) of super mario bros or any other old nes sega game.
I want it so I can see how the waves look in these songs, so I better understand this subject.
I looked in the web, but it is full of garbage sites about mario music, and I cant find anywhere to actually download thse files.

I would appreaciate your help.
Thanks in advance.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Grab an emmemeulatoar...sorry

an emulator. If I recall, NESticle had a wav output function that recorded the output from within the emulator and stored the file in a folder. And you could solo each channel to hear what was coming from what and record that also.

Tony

Quote:Original post by The C modest god
I want to download music and effects files (preferably .wav not mp3) of super mario bros or any other old nes sega game.
I want it so I can see how the waves look in these songs, so I better understand this subject.

You really don't need to analyse the file to see what a square or triangular waveform is, since they really are as trivial as they sound.

click here.
Ok thanks.
I did thought they look like this.
From watching the recorded wave of mario music I noticed two things.
First, some notes have their amplitude decrease linearly, so I applied that.
I also noticed that some effects have their frequency change linearly, so I changed that as well.
However, some things remain different.
The waves I created were perfect. The mario waves are not so perfect, this might be due to noise as a result of something.
Also, there are some SFX in mario, like of a flying fire ball (not the one mario throws, a bigger one).
It has some sort of effect and I dont know how to recreate it.
Also, I dont remember now, but I think there are in some games also drum like sounds.
So how did those games created drums like sounds?

I would appreaciate your help.
Anonymous C dude.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement