Sign in to follow this  

Lighting confusion..

This topic is 4204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there! I seem to have gotten myself a little confused, and I was wondering if anyone could help clarify things for me. I've been practicing displaying a textured 3D cube (one of the examples in Programming RolePlaying Games in DirectX), and upon my first build i was presented with everything I expected, except for a missing texture (the cube was black). Looking through Jim Adams' code he uses the following line, which fixes things: g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, FALSE); Just wondering why I need to set the light stream to False, when i never set it to True in the first place. Also, why is this line not necessary in his example of a textured 2D square? Thankyou in advance for any help!

I'm not familiar with Direct3D, but I would think it's probably due to absence of properly-positioned lights in the scene. Set up some ambient lighting, then you should no longer have to turn off the lighting to see anything.

I can't begin to think about the second question without looking at the code.

You have to set it to false, because it's true by default:

Quote:

D3DRS_LIGHTING
TRUE to enable Direct3D lighting, or FALSE to disable it. The default value is TRUE. Only vertices that include a vertex normal are properly lit; vertices that do not contain a normal employ a dot product of 0 in all lighting calculations.

(from the DirectX SDK documentation)

This topic is 4204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.