• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laotzu

new to directx

This topic is 6451 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m just getting started on learning directx, and just downloaded the dx8a sdk tonight. I was hoping to start off by just making some simple 2d stuff, however looking at the documentation on the ms website it only seems to talk about d3d. Also all of the directdraw samples online that used dx7 don''t seem to work... So I guess my question is, is it possible to do directdraw stuff in dx8? If so, I''d really appreciate it if anyone knows of a website that shows how to set it up.. stuff like what to include and how to initialize surfaces and such. Thank you very much, -laotzu

Advertisement
I believe you can use DirectDraw 7 with the DX8 SDK, but you won''t be able to mix DirectDraw 7 with Direct3D8. DX8 merged DirectDraw with Direct3D. If you want to use D3D8 to make a 2D game, you have to setup a 3D world and draw the bitmaps (sprites) with quads.

I have the DirectX 7 SDK CD hosted at my site if you''d like to use that instead of 8. You can browse the entire contents and download just what you want or download the SDK zipped up with no extras. The demos from 7 should compile and work with DX8 on your system.

Since "Teach Yourself DirectX 7 in 24 Hours" is still being published I can''t put the CD on my site but I highly recommend purchasing the book.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Or buy "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" (part I). It uses DirectX 6.1, but converting it to DX7 should be no problem at all. totwgpg is all about creating a 2D game, so it should help you a lot! Check out the book review on this site:

http://64.33.37.114/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!