Sign in to follow this  

Joints, bones, and animation?

This topic is 4198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well sorry for being so vague, but basically I wrote an exporter for 3dsmax. This exporter only takes the actual structure(mesh) of the object. I am not exporting any of the animations. So basically my question is, where can I find information on animations and bone structure/joint stuff? I have my own model format as it is right now, but I would like to get info on how to incorporate animations with joints. Any info will be helpfull, thanks guys. Also, it shouldnt matter but I am working with DirectX9 and C++. --Brad

The object that you're animating with bones has a modifier(ClassID SKIN_CLASSID) that gives you an interface called ISkin. That interface gives access to the bones. See the sdk docs for details, also the ascii exporter example is useful.

Btw don't try to interpolate the bones yourself with the parameters. Instead, sample the bone matrices with GetNodeTM and save those.

Quote:
Original post by antistar
The object that you're animating with bones has a modifier(ClassID SKIN_CLASSID) that gives you an interface called ISkin. That interface gives access to the bones. See the sdk docs for details, also the ascii exporter example is useful.

Btw don't try to interpolate the bones yourself with the parameters. Instead, sample the bone matrices with GetNodeTM and save those.

Ahh great info! this will help me out in when I export it, but im also looking for general information for using bones inside of my game engine. Like a doc, tutorial, or book?

Thanks much!

This topic is 4198 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.