"razzie" award for games

Started by
10 comments, last by Nypyren 17 years, 10 months ago
A much heard complaint in the games industry is that there developer adopt a a “what-has-been-sold-before-will-sell-again” strategy of developing games which leads to that only games are developed for “popular” game genres such as RTS/FPS and numerous sequels/expansions/copycat products to existing successful games. See for example this article on gamasutra. I don't exactly agree with this statement (see games like katamari/animal crossing/ psychonauts & numerous indie games etc). But I was thinking why isn't there, similar to the movie industry, some organisation that organizes "Razzie" awards for the worst game published each year?? It should not make fun of games individually but just give a signal to the publishers that were fed up with Madden 2015 and Halo 9. Opinions?
Game Engineering ResearcherSee www.helpyouplay.com
Advertisement
That sounds like a cool idea, and the good thing is that you could do it yourself:), Just start a blog and publish a list. I'm sure people on this forum would generate alot of talk about it!

About your point on Madden and Halo. I'd say that your in a minority if you think that consumers are feed up with them. They seem to sell a "boat load" on each release.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
The idea that an organization (presumably answerable to the game-playing public at large) would be able to enlighten publishers as to what the public is fed up with, assumes that publishers are not currently aware of what consumers are and aren't buying. And I'm pretty darn sure that's not the case.
Quote:Original post by eelke_folmer
give a signal to the publishers that were fed up with Madden 2015 and Halo 9.
I don't really know whether or not it would be appropriate to say that the public are 'fed up' with these games, but if they are they're certainly not showing it by continuing to purchase them in droves. You want to stop the publishers producing these games, you'll need to stop people from buying them; where there's profit, they'll continue to provide a product.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'm sure there are certain *elements* of games though, to which the public is probably highly fed up, although the games themselves as a whole can be good (and thus sell). It would be interesting to have a body to catalogue these elements, and maybe give some kind of "awards" based on that. For example, can anyone honestly say they enjoy a long uninterruptible cutscene, protecting a dumb NPC under the penalty of gameover, or a jarring and badly implemented stealth incursion?

Yes, this is quite the same as "bad gamedesigner, no twinkie", but a systematic and up-to-date catalog would be interesting, as well as educational. Of course it's a bit subjective, which elements are to be considered "bad enough" to be listed.
Just like a movie winning a Razzie can have sold well in cinemas, top-selling games can be total crap quality-wise, creative-wise, or both.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) is the 4th best seller at the box office world-wide, with $922,379,000 in entry. Do I have to remind you? Jar-Jar? Midi-chlorians?

I think Showgirls is the second best-rental movie (after Shrek), and didnt it get a Razzie?

Sales != Quality

Just look at the Deer Hunter's...
Quote:
About your point on Madden and Halo. I'd say that your in a minority if you think that consumers are feed up with them. They seem to sell a "boat load" on each release.

They are not fed up with it yet, but ask me again in 2015 ;-) Likewise the movie industry, certain *bad* movies (american gigolo) that were nominated did also well at the box office (it only shows a lot of people have bad/no taste).

There is not a very strong relationship between quality and sales. Some of the best movies I have ever seen didn't even make it to the theatres. Some of the best games I played were not huge commercial successes (Katamari/Psychonauts/Amplitude). In my opinion, game design is a 'creative outlet' and not a money making business, although a lot of people (especially publishers) are only motivated by money. Publishers are not oblivious to game sales because thats what its all about in this industry game designers and publishers often have different goals.

It took people like Will Wright years and years to convince EA to publish and invest in his Sims. How many other brilliant game designers with less perseverence but with great ideas for games have been shown the door the last decades?
Game Engineering ResearcherSee www.helpyouplay.com
There is not a very strong relationship between quality and sales.

There is not a very strong relationship between your personal conception of quality and sales.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
There is not a very strong relationship between quality and sales.

There is not a very strong relationship between your personal conception of quality and sales.
The real problem is, that in many cases, before you can really know that it's crap, you have to have paid for the product.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I'm pretty sure Katamari was a big commercial success

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement