Sign in to follow this  

while / if... why wont this work

This topic is 4200 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why wont this work? (you only need to look at line 2 and 3) "while" wont work but if i put in "if" it works fine.
int i =0;  
             // while(COLUM_AMOUNT >= i){ // does not work   
             if (COLUM_AMOUNT >= i){// works 
             for(int s = 0;ROW_AMOUNT > s; s++){
             if(focus.screen_location.x == BLOCK_WIDTH * s && focus.screen_location.y == WINDOW_HEIGHT - (BLOCK_WIDTH * (i + 1))){
            if(CheckBlockCollision(focus) || focus.screen_location.y + BLOCK_WIDTH == WINDOW_HEIGHT){
                                          SDL_WM_SetCaption("change 1", 0);
             restingblocks[i][s] = 1;}
             }
             if(ROW_AMOUNT <= s){
             i++;
             s = 0;
             if(COLUM_AMOUNT <= i){
             i = 0;}
             }
             }}

Define "wont work". Does it not compile? Does it not behave like you expect? Does a little gnome leap out of your CD-ROM drive and put a pancake on your head?

A while loop will keep repeating until the condition is false. If it's always true then it loops forever and appears to have "locked up."

The 'while' construct means exactly what it says: it keeps doing the body of the loop (the stuff within the {} associated with the while()) for as long as the condition specified holds. You specified a condition 'COLUM_AMOUNT >= i'; within the loop, neither 'COLUM_AMOUNT' nor 'i' has its value changed; so if the loop is entered, nothing can cause it to exit.

BTW, it's spelled "column" :)

This topic is 4200 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.