Slow loading SDL window

Started by
13 comments, last by nullsquared 17 years, 10 months ago
Hello, this is a rather odd question and I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this but; Recently, when I try to run a SDL program, be it a demo that I have downloaded or something that I have created, the loading of the program would be very, very slow. Once it loads, the game runs fine, however, closing the program is also very slow. Even when I just create an empty SDL window, it takes a good 40 seconds for it to load, while it loads my computer is almost frozen. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? Thank you,
Advertisement
Are any other programs loading slow?
Have you restarted your computer lately?
Have you changed anything about your SDL files lately?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would cause programs that use SDL to load any more slowly than anything else given the information that you have given us.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Nothing else loads slow, I haven't done anything usual to my sdl files. In fact, I sent the sdl.dll and a normal blank window program over to another computer and it ran fine, no slow loading. I have rebooted quite often, the only thing that I have done different is updated my .net framework to 2.0.

I have a dual core cpu, 1gb ram, ati radeon x19000..
Hmm. Try uninstalling .NET 2.0 and see if that fixes it?
I doubt .NET would be the problem unless you're using .NET in your demo.
Quote:Original post by samuraicrow
I doubt .NET would be the problem unless you're using .NET in your demo.

You never know what can happen when you install something [wink]
I suppose it depends on what compiler you're using. If you're using Visual C++ then .NET can make a difference. If you're using GCC then it won't.
Quote:Original post by samuraicrow
I suppose it depends on what compiler you're using. If you're using Visual C++ then .NET can make a difference. If you're using GCC then it won't.

The compiler he is using is irrelevent since the OP claimed that it is slow even when loading something he himself did not compile. There is a reason tech supports ask if you have installed anything recently.
@SticksandStones

Good point. Maybe it's a corrupted download of .NET or something.
Does your computer support rolling back windows? If you are desperate, you can try finding a time when it wasn't slow, and then reinstall everything.

See if any drivers, like for your graphics card especially, were updated without you knowing about it. It may be a problem with the fact that directdraw is going out of style, and your graphics card is all like: whatev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement