Help with OpenGL (2D stuff)

Started by
3 comments, last by twigllet 23 years, 1 month ago
I want to make a 2D game using OpenGL because I hate DirectX. Anyone know how to plot a bitmap at certain pixels on the screen? Or could you point me in the right direction? Thanx.
Advertisement
May I suggest that rather than not using DirectX because you hate it, that you use the right tool for the job. I''m not saying that DirectX is the right tool for the job, since I don''t know what you are doing. But if you want to make games, and you want to make good games, then use the best available stuff.

As far as your question is concerned, I''m not very sure about this, but by using a textured quad, you can put a bitmap on the screen where ever you want, but there are probably much better ways of doing it (yes I''ve never used OGL before =)

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Trying is the first step towards failure.
I downloaded DX8 SDK and because they merged DD and D3D I thought it''d be easier to use OpenGL. I figured out how to do it with OpenGL though. Thanx anyways.
quote:May I suggest that rather than not using DirectX because you hate it, that you use the right tool for the job. I''m not saying that DirectX is the right tool for the job, since I don''t know what you are doing. But if you want to make games, and you want to make good games, then use the best available stuff.

LOL! Now that is what I call a round about way of saying OpenGL sucks .

Until I learn D3D, I will continue to hate it .

I would like someone who knows both APIs to step forward and tell us what the benifits are for both of them. Until then, any one who hasn''t used the API they''re putting down: your words are pointless.
I do now both API''s, but I suck at D3D (i.e. I''m not really experienced with it, but I technically can use it), that''s why I use OpenGL.

Neither API is truly better than the other, D3D has been evolving to look more and more like OpenGL over the years, and now they''re almost the same. Neither is faster, neither has more functionality. The reason I went with OpenGL in the end is I want to port my engine to Linux, and that''s kind of impossible with DirectX .

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement