• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Todo

Unity Audio library of choice and OpenAL

This topic is 4446 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if this community could give me some insights on their choices of sound library. If you have used such a library in the past, which was it and were you satisfied with it? What were its strongs points, and its weaknesses? Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Do you know of some open source projects that can do some of the things commercial products (such as FMOD) can? Have you written one ourself perhaps and care to give some pointers to audio programming or DSP? Some websites or other resources would be very helpful. Also, I've written a wrapper for OpenAL, and while I like the design of OpenAL itself, drivers seem to break on various configurations (including my own). Has anyone encounterend any problems with it in the past? Finally, I tried a different approach to streaming in OpenAL, as opposed to what the specs told me to. I locked buffers and filled them with new data, but this only resulted in an indefinate loop of the original data. If I recall correctly, OpenAL should use DirectSound on Win32 configs (if available), so it should work to fill buffers with new data, but it doesn't. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
You'd think there's at least someone out there interested in audio programming, even if it were only slightly.

Well if your project isnt commercial, then by all means go for FMOD, as its free for non commercial use.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!