Sign in to follow this  

General WebSite Ergonomics

This topic is 4201 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know a good site that explains human factors when navigating a site, like, site colors, text arrangement, positioning and size, how the human eye "navigates" a site, etc...? Has anyone translated Feng Shui into web design? That would be an interesting concept.

I can tell you that in my experiences, people navigate sites in a backwards C motion.

This paper gives a nice little experiment with different types of navigation styles.

This isn't a website but through work I recently read about a book called "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krugg who is purported to be one of the world's experts on this sort of thing that might be worth a look. I googled the title in quotes and it came up on Amazon.

I came across it mentioned in an interview with the author in a marketing email circular and he certainly seemed very knowledgable to me.

HTH Paul

Guest Anonymous Poster
design-wise i 'd recommending books by alan cooper. he usually goes into great detail on how to layout the user interface, not just the theory but also how the theory is reflected in practical user interface examples.
i don't know, however, if there's a recent book especially on web site design. alan cooper does have some very radical ideas, though, especially when it comes to prototyping and the involvement of the user in this process (he says there should be almost none). his guidelines on practical interface design are widely accepted though (well.. these aren't exactly *his*, but the guidelines he proposes and reiterates are somwhat accepted).

This topic is 4201 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.