Sign in to follow this  

Sprite ripping

This topic is 4200 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

um....do you mean from a game? and do you mean from a PC game?

firstly id google what you're looking for, more often than not someone else has done it for you. other than that im afraid im of little help, though i believe the process can be a pain in the arse...moreso with old old games rather than newer ones.

Quote:
Original post by Winegums
um....do you mean from a game? and do you mean from a PC game?

firstly id google what you're looking for, more often than not someone else has done it for you. other than that im afraid im of little help, though i believe the process can be a pain in the arse...moreso with old old games rather than newer ones.

I did google, found nothing. Yes, from a PC game. Rayman 1 to be exact.

Take screenshots when you're playing the game. When you're done, open the screenshots in your favourite image program and start cut out everything you need. The idea isn't that hard, it's only a pain to do it.

Quote:
Original post by password
Take screenshots when you're playing the game. When you're done, open the screenshots in your favourite image program and start cut out everything you need. The idea isn't that hard, it's only a pain to do it.

Tried, the computer won't take a picture of it.

What are you using to take the screenshots? Try FRAPS or something like that. There are a bunch. Google it and you'll find a bunch (Look up "screen capture"). Somewhere there is one that you can set to take shots every frame, but I don't know what it's called.

After that, Photoshop each shot to cut out what you want. I believe you can compile gifs in photoshop, but I've heard it's better to use Sprite Maps. I don't know if Photoshop does that, but again google "sprite maps" and there are some tiling programs that you can assemble sprite maps in. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. Anyone have any further advice or corrections?

D

killercore007,

There is more free sprite on the web that you'd be able to use1, why do you want to steal sprites from a copyrighted game? You won't be able to distribute your game after that, so what's the point?

1: some sprites in this list are very questionable - just remember that you can't use the intellectual property of a someone in your product unles syou have his authorization and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
killercore007,

There is more free sprite on the web that you'd be able to use1, why do you want to steal sprites from a copyrighted game? You won't be able to distribute your game after that, so what's the point?

1: some sprites in this list are very questionable - just remember that you can't use the intellectual property of a someone in your product unles syou have his authorization and you'll be fine.

The only distribution I'm gonna do is give the company a copy of the completed game. That's it.

If I interpret you correctly and you are planning to give the company who owns the sprites a copy of your game in the hopes they may want to do something with it, surely you would be better off writing the game with your own place-holder sprites (however basic) and sending it to the company explaining that you think this would be a fantastic game for them if it included their original artwork.

Then, if they were interested they would presumabley supply you with existing sprite sheets to work with and, if not, you wouldn't have wasted hours cutting sprites out of screenshots.

Just a thought.

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
If I interpret you correctly and you are planning to give the company who owns the sprites a copy of your game in the hopes they may want to do something with it, surely you would be better off writing the game with your own place-holder sprites (however basic) and sending it to the company explaining that you think this would be a fantastic game for them if it included their original artwork.

Then, if they were interested they would presumabley supply you with existing sprite sheets to work with and, if not, you wouldn't have wasted hours cutting sprites out of screenshots.

Just a thought.

I would but the the sprites are too complex for me to make even accuratly make anything right, esspessialy the bosses, which are too dang big.

This topic is 4200 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.