Sign in to follow this  

My First Post, My first Game!

This topic is 4205 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I am new at programing games. The only games I have ever made before were with RPG Maker(R). RMXP was the last one I was using. But, I plan a future career in Game Development, and I'm sure that some easy-to-use program isn't going to help me get there. I was just hoping that someone here could provide me with a list of the programs that I need to get, and maybe a few pointers. I am ready for the challenge and I hope to become a well known game designer and creating top-sellers for a huge company and, with your help, I have a chance of reaching that goal in the next 5 or so years. Thank you for you help. N00bGaMeR

You should consult our For Beginners section.

Especially important is the concept of learning a programming language first, and producing a game with it second. I usually tell newbies that until they are up to lesson 17 on CProgramming's tutorials that they should not attempt writing a game. The confidence and knowledge you get from firmly knowing the tutorials should give you insights as to how a game is constructed and allow you to easily pull one together by yourself.

Enrico is right.
I also used the RPG-Maker in former times, but it has not much in common with languages like C, Delphi or Java. So you have to decide, which language to use. Then you should buy at least one book focusing on the programming language. Then you can go on with your first game programming book and start with stuff like asteroids. [lol]

[Edited by - m4ster on January 14, 2007 12:06:15 PM]

Quote:
Original post by N00bGaMeR
Thanks. I will look into the sticky and I had planned on picking up a *few* books on C/C++, which is the language I want to use, because so many others do.

This is a very bad reason for learning a certain language.
I always recommend Python for a beginner. It is very easy to learn, easy to develop with. It is just great :-D
This language has some advantages, especially for a beginner =)
As with a lot of things, it is a matter of personal taste ;)

Ops, sorry for the double post :-(

Thanks, I decided to look into Python, and I found everything I needed, including an online book for it, that I downloaded, and so far, it's pretty simple. Thanks Enrico.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

N00bGaMeR

I suggest Pascal. The first programming language I learned was Pascal. I moved on to C and since I learned Pascal it was easier for me to learn C. Pascal is also an easy-to-learn language. A tutorial for it is at http://pascalprogramming.byethost15.com.
Bloodshed.net also has a Pascal compiler.

This topic is 4205 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.