emacs is whacked yo

Started by
23 comments, last by Aardvajk 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
It takes a few years, but once you learn Emacs well, nothing will ever be able to replace it.
--cam

It takes a few days, but once you learn VS editor well, you'll be able to work instead of spending years to learn how to use emacs [grin]

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
BTW do emacs guys realize that they are the only people on earth that knows about the existence of a "meta" key on their keyboard? (and what is, finally, a meta key? Is it is a key that defines the other keys?)

click here to see a keyboard with Meta, Super and Hyper keys. It even has a Meta-Lock :)
It takes a few days, but once you learn VS editor well, you'll be able to work instead of spending years to learn how to use emacs [grin]

Stupid reply:
It takes a few days, but once you learn VB well, you'll be able to work instead of spending years to learn how to use C++.
I would say that familiarity with tools like Emacs or Vim is pretty important. These tools are available on nearly any platform you may come across. Not everybody has visual studio on their computer (nor should they). I can't even count the number of times I've been called over by an artist who had a problem with an export script or something and I've had to install a free text editor on their machine (or use notepad). Once you get good with one of these editors you can be very productive.
I want a triangle on my keyboard!!

If I've read one of those keys correctly, though, I don't think I want a "Reboot" key right next to shift. That sounds dangerous.
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
If I've read one of those keys correctly, though, I don't think I want a "Reboot" key right next to shift. That sounds dangerous.

It's "repeat", not "reboot".
On the LHS? I think it's actually "Rubout".
Quote:Original post by Trap

Stupid reply:
It takes a few days, but once you learn VB well, you'll be able to work instead of spending years to learn how to use C++.

First, I'd like to thank you for this "stupid" word [flaming] - very kind.

And what you say is very true - why do you think that VB is used?
Quote:In business programming, Visual Basic has one of the largest user bases. According to some sources, as of 2003, 52 percent of software developers used Visual Basic, making it the most popular programming language at that time.

other source (not related only to business programming) (before looking the table, please read about the methodology they used). Anyway, VB+VB.NET still represented nearly 24% of the (online) job offers in June 2003.

I'd have to say that it takes more than a few days to learn VB well. In a few days, you'll be able to create small programs but small programs are not really usefull.

Anyway, since VB is simple and yet powerfull, it is true that a lot of projects are built using VB instead of C++. From a programmer point of view, good VB skills sells well. What's stupid about this?
Quote:Original post by Trap
Stupid reply:

First, I'd like to thank you for this "stupid" word [flaming] - very kind.

I meant to imply that my reply is stupid, not that your post is stupid.
I ran emacs once just to see what it was like, spend half an hour trying to figure out how to close it and in the end had to restart my computer.

Probably my stupidity though. I'm not dissing emacs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement