VC++6 really irritating bug!

Started by
24 comments, last by yadango 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by synth_cat
Secondly: I want to download the version of VC++2005 which is offered free on msdn (I believe it's called "Express Edition" or something like that.) I just want to know if there are any restrictions on this compiler. My ultimate goal is to finish my game and make as much money as I can off of it, so I really need to get a compiler with no royalties or limiting license agreements.

You can use it for whatever you want, even commercial applications.
Advertisement
Sweet! I will definitely install it. But first I'm going to clear out everything. Even if Visual C++ 6 won't do anything to me just sitting there, I like to have my hard drive neat. It would be great if the Uninstall command would just get rid of all the directories and files so I don't have to track them all down...
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
You might want to actually hold on to VC++ 6 if you do not have another Win32 resource editor as the Express version of VC++ 2005 does not have one.
Mastaba,

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "resource editor." Is this something absolutely essential for making a game, or is it just something used for creating icons and such?
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
dont install vc6, theres no need (u can have both installed at the same time like me)
opening any *.dsw with vc2005 will prompt u convert them
Quote:Original post by synth_cat
Is this something absolutely essential for making a game, or is it just something used for creating icons and such?

i rarely use the resource editor. when i double-click on an rc file, i have it set up so it displays code and not the editor. it's a visual way to create menus, dialogs, and other window resources. it's useful for icons and dialogs (positioning controls), but almost everything else can be handcoded or coded from your own resource code templates (menus, accelerators, etc.). as a bitmap editor it's not even on par with mspaint. it also adds a lot of junk code and has an odd formatting style (that's a personal opinion however).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement