Sign in to follow this  

Best C++ Book?

This topic is 4200 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the best C++ Learning book? I found these two: C++ for Dummies (Paperback) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764568523/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/104-9231298-4426344?%5Fencoding=UTF8 Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (5th Edition) (Sams Teach Yourself) (Paperback) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672327112/sr=8-1/qid=1150332202/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9231298-4426344?%5Fencoding=UTF8 Is their any better? What is the best C++ Learning Book?

Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo is definately a great book. I believe it is the book my university uses for the first couple CS courses. One great thing about "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" is it is the book used for the c++ workshop. If you are just starting out with c++, i strongly encourage you to check it out.

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
One great thing about "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days" is it is the book used for the c++ workshop.

That doesn't actually mean it's a good book (it isn't).

I have no recommendations. I stopped reading intro C++ texts a while ago, and I sneer at anything with "for Dummies," "for Idiots," "The Complete Beginner's Guide to," "in 24 Hours," "in 7 Days" or "in 21 Days" in the title.

not primarily just a C++ book, but a book which is more or less divided in half between C and C++, which I found veeery useful since it doesn't only teach you the language syntax, but also has some more complex stuff like data structures, C/C++ How to program by Deitel/Deitel

If your willing to spend the money on a good book, the absolute best one I've ever read is C++ Programming Program Design Including Data Structures Second Editon by D.S. Malik. It covers everything from the very beginning to even using STL. I still keep it close by as a reference.

I found this book to be very good for beginners (and I still use it for reference):
Object-Oriented Programming in C++, 4th ed. by Robert Lafore

I also use the online (or downloadable) "Thinking in C++" for STL reference and more advanced topics. I'm not sure how good it would be for beginners though (I've never read the early chapters).

Quote:
Original post by adam23
If your willing to spend the money on a good book, the absolute best one I've ever read is C++ Programming Program Design Including Data Structures Second Editon by D.S. Malik. It covers everything from the very beginning to even using STL. I still keep it close by as a reference.

That book is ok, they use it at my school I find it just a decent book. Probably one of the others like Acceleratoed C++ may be better but out of your list I'd give a check for Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days over the Dummies book. The dummies book just cracks your eyes open a little. But Teach yourself c++ in 21 days makes its wide open.

I found a book that seems great and was cheap. I ordered it it's called Beginning C++ for Game Developers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592002056/ref=pd_sim_b_4/104-9231298-4426344?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

This topic is 4200 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.