Best C++ Book?

Started by
14 comments, last by Cyncro 17 years, 10 months ago
If your willing to spend the money on a good book, the absolute best one I've ever read is C++ Programming Program Design Including Data Structures Second Editon by D.S. Malik. It covers everything from the very beginning to even using STL. I still keep it close by as a reference.
Adamhttp://www.allgamedevelopment.com
Advertisement
I found this book to be very good for beginners (and I still use it for reference):
Object-Oriented Programming in C++, 4th ed. by Robert Lafore

I also use the online (or downloadable) "Thinking in C++" for STL reference and more advanced topics. I'm not sure how good it would be for beginners though (I've never read the early chapters).
Tadd- WarbleWare
I'd recommend The C++ Programming Language, though you'd probably need to know programming concepts in general before reading.
Quote:Original post by adam23
If your willing to spend the money on a good book, the absolute best one I've ever read is C++ Programming Program Design Including Data Structures Second Editon by D.S. Malik. It covers everything from the very beginning to even using STL. I still keep it close by as a reference.

That book is ok, they use it at my school I find it just a decent book. Probably one of the others like Acceleratoed C++ may be better but out of your list I'd give a check for Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days over the Dummies book. The dummies book just cracks your eyes open a little. But Teach yourself c++ in 21 days makes its wide open.
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
Also, if you haven't found the For Beginners section at GameDev, check it out.

And the C++ Workshop forum is in it's second week, so you might get some useful info there.
Tadd- WarbleWare
I found a book that seems great and was cheap. I ordered it it's called Beginning C++ for Game Developers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592002056/ref=pd_sim_b_4/104-9231298-4426344?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement