• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Developing Emulators & Roms

This topic is 6213 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there is a way that you can develop emulators & roms for the following systems using a wide range of programming languages & programming tools?: Nintendo 64: Nintendo: Super Nintendo: Gameboy: Gameboy Advanced: Playstation: Playstation 2: XBox: Arcade: The reason I am asking another question so soon is because my friend Eric Gibson that stays in Malone, Florida doesn''t have internet yet, but he knows programming so that''s why he told me to ask for him. But the thing is, he has so many programming tools that he doesn''t use that it ain''t funny. He has the following: Borland C++ Builder: 1.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 Borland Delphi: 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 (All Enterprise Editions) (LEGAL) Visual Basic: 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 (All Enterprise Editions) (LEGAL) Turbo Assembler 5.0, Z80 Assembler, 6502 Assembler, X86 Assembler. (LEGAL) And some more but I can''t name em'' all. Anyways, I went over to his house yesteryday, and got on his computer to check out what all he had and when I so all those programming tools, I said: "You got all these programming tools, and don''t even use them." And he replied," Yes but what can I do with them." And I said, "You can make your own 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games with some of them." And he said," Cool, but can I make my own Emulators & Roms for the above systems using the programming tools that I already have or do I have to get some kind of other programming tool like a different version of assembly?" And I couldn''t tell him anything because I didn''t even know myself. Because I don''t even know any kind of programming language but I do have probably more or less programming tools that Eric Gibson does. In other words, in the long run, we have about the same programming tools. But the only hold back from be creating 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games, emulators and roms is that I don''t know any programming language. I bet if I knew a programming language, I could come here and just post questions about when I get stuck on running or writing code instead of posting questions about: Is there anyway I could create 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games? (Like I did before with my many personalities.) (Delphi Programmer, Curly, Holymonkey etc...) Also, is there anyway I could create emulators & roms for the different systems that I listed? (Like I did in my previous post.) So that''s why I am posting this question. Please consider answering this question so that I can go back over to my friend''s house and watch him create a game or two. Bye Now!

Advertisement
Despite my interest in emulators, I have no idea how to program one. But, you could write one in any language, I would imagine. Just have to read a rom and do what is expected of the original system for that rom. (sounds easy, heh) I mean, you could use visual basic, or maybe even java (*choke*). It would just run as slow as hell. Just my thoughts about something I have no idea about.

>Is there anyway I could create 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games?
Yes!

Napster got shut down for infringing music. Now when will the same happen to emulators?

The only use emulators should have is for console developers trying to program games for something with different hardware from their PCs''. That is the ONLY reason they should exist. It''s simple-- downloading ROMs without owning the cartridges is illegal, and downloading ROMs to games you DO own is against the game''s warranty. There''s no way around it.

Emulators can''t be shut down. They are not illegal.
There are so many different emulators, 90% of them are free, and many have source code.. there''s absoultely no way they''ll ever disappear.

Emulators aren't illegal but neither was napster. I think they've made some new case law, that makes all programs that help you to share copyrighted mp3s illegal. They'll probably use the same argument on emulators some day

Anyway what's wrong with breaking a warranty?

Hey Some Guy: Napster hasn't shutdown it's been told it has to shutdown, but they're appealing so nothing'll happen for a few weeks probably. YOU IDIOT!!!

Edited by - frankd on February 17, 2001 6:31:06 PM

quote:
Original post by Some Guy

YOU IDIOT!! Napster shut down this week! Don''t you watch the news?

No, but I downloaded three songs this morning from it. Who''s the idiot now?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Napster was allowed to be kept open pending a hearing, I think.

Only about 10 million times...

Just like he did before... over and over and over and over again, about programming 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D GAMES IN DELPHI and all such. He never shuts up, he's an idiot. He wouldn't know how to program his way out of a paper bag (actually, neither would I.... ).

It really makes me wonder how he gets any replies... I mean, just read his cock & bull story this time... yeah his freind Eric Gibson... uhhuh, no internet, uhhuh, all those programming tools but doesn't know what they're for, uhhuh. Thanks for the dialogue rodney, i suppose you thought that would make it look more convincing, too.

Yet again, I answered your bloody question the first time you asked it, as did other people, and yet you haven't bothered to f*cking read it. You make me mad, you little piece of sh*t! Sorry, but I just can't understand what's wrong with you... you say the reason you're asking *AGAIN* is because your freind Eric asked you to. Well, why didn't you tell him what you've been told before in your numerous other posts about the SAME BLOODY TOPIC. Also, you're freind Eric must be as retarded as you, because you say "he knows programming" yet you quote that he says "Yes but what can I do with them [his tools]". Intersting, that. What do you mean, he doesn't exist? It was a trick?!? Oh!

I know this isn't going to get through to you, you'll post again and again and again, because you're a stupid idiot, but I had to vent my sentiments. If you had any sort of a brain you would have worked out that seeing as emulators exist as well as home made roms that OF COURSE you can program emultars and roms. How the f*ck do you think other people make them? Or didn't you think that far ahead? Idiot.

Once and for all, the answer to your questions is YES. ONE CAN. BUT YOU CAN'T.

And by the way, you're penultimate sentence... you're gonna go round to his house and watch him create a game or two?... I really can't understand how on earth you came by this forum, that is the single most stupid statement i've ever read.

Insomnia

Edited by - Insomnia on February 18, 2001 9:18:49 AM

Insomnia:
Chill man. Keep your head on. BTW, what does penultimate sentence mean?

On a lighter note, this message was kinda funny. What Eric Gibson ought to do is to send VB 6.0, BCB 5.0 and Delphi 5.0 to me and I''ll get rockin''.

Insomnia is actually right, I'm glad I'm not the only one who knew this kid just makes up stories to go along with his questions, in an attempt to sound less stupid (which fails miserably).

"Oh my friend wants to know how to do this, not me."

Tell me, what person would PURCHASE every nearly every single version of VB, VC++, and DELPHI when they don't know how to program in them, OR have an internet connection??

Don't bother answering to this kid's posts anymore, it's just a waste of time.

By the way, there are no Eric Gibsons in Malone, Florida.

Edited by - multitap on February 18, 2001 11:47:54 AM

Maybe 5d game in QBasic wouldn''t be so hard afterall,(still, I don''t want to give a try) cause isn''t time the 4th dimension and I''ve heard there was about 20 dimensiond during the Big Bang.

Sorry. Just my stupid thoughts

quote:
Original post by multitap

Tell me, what person would PURCHASE every nearly every single version of VB, VC++, and DELPHI when they don''t know how to program in them, OR have an internet connection??

By the way, there are no Eric Gibsons in Malone, Florida.

Where''d you see VC++ in the list of what he wrote? He ain''t 1337 enough to use MSVC

How''d you know there are no Eric Gibsons in Malone? he could be just some ding bat living with his family without a phoneline...

Just to give a sceneario of how someone can have all that programming software and not have athe skill: He or his parents could have bought a second hand computer that contained all the above mentioned Dev tools.

And to answer the question asked. There is a called the Emulation Programmer Resource(or Repository) that contains a lot of information on the creation of emulators. You can also find the source code of some emulators on the Zophar''s Domain site.

Is it just me or did the courts rule that Napster could not have copyrighted material on their servers without permission, and that they could be held accountable ONLY if the company could prove that (1) the copyrighted material was on their system, and (2) that the company had told Napster that the material was their before legal actions could be taken?

Now flame if you will but it will only waste your time. For better is to ignore than to flame.

It''s me, it''s that T-H-E-D.

<drops trou & winks at Rodney>

And I I''m pretty sure it''s im-fucking-possible to create a ROM with a compiler. One could write code to burn onto a ROM...

The follow is my limited understanding of US laws.

Voiding warranties & "licensing agreements" are not implicitly illegal. Voiding the warranty only means they the company that gave you the warranty doesn''t have to honor it - like opening up your PS1 & solderring a chip to it voids the warranty but is hardly illegal. Just because a company claims that an action voids the warranty doesn''t mean it does. They can print whatever they like in the "licensing agreement" that comes with stuff that doesn''t make it true nor legally binding. You *never* sign anything saying that you''ll agree to it, let alone have it notarized. There are some laws against *selling* or otherwise *making a profit* by distributing unauthorized duplicates of copyrighted material. There is a law the explitically makes it legal to make duplicates of copyrighted works for personal use, which includes private sharing with friends & family.

Last I heard, Napster had signed some deals to avoid being shutdown, that entailed them paying periodic fees to the money grubbing record labels. Eventually Napster will cost a monthly fee to use.

PS You are allowed to rip the tags off your pillows...

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned

quote:
Original post by rodneyldixon

I was wondering if there is a way that you can develop emulators & roms for the following systems using a wide range of programming languages & programming tools?:

Gee rodney|dixon, jeffrey, curly, DelphiProgrammer or whatever other nicks you have, you seem to have cross-posted the same ill-informed question on multiple forums again. tsk tsk tsk...

Take a look at this post in the turbo forum to see rodney contradict himself.

quote:

The reason I am asking another question so soon is because my friend Eric Gibson that stays in Malone, Florida doesn''t have internet yet, but he knows programming so that''s why he told me to ask for him. But the thing is, he has so many programming tools that he doesn''t use that it ain''t funny.

He has the following:

Borland C++ Builder:
1.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0

Borland Delphi:
1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 (All Enterprise Editions) (LEGAL)

Visual Basic:
4.0, 5.0, 6.0 (All Enterprise Editions) (LEGAL)

Turbo Assembler 5.0, Z80 Assembler, 6502 Assembler, X86
Assembler. (LEGAL)

Either he''s very rich, got very rich parents or something else. Enterprise editions are thousands of dollars each and he''s got them all? And further down you mention that you them all too. And yet neither of you know how to use any of them. This is just too outlandish. I didn''t even think there were Enterprise editions of all those development platforms.

quote:

(Like I did before with my many personalities.)
(Delphi Programmer, Curly, Holymonkey etc...)

Schitzophrenia comes to mind...

quote:

Also, is there anyway I could create emulators & roms for the different systems that I listed?
(Like I did in my previous post.)

Emulators, yes. Roms, no. But not all the systems you listed even use roms, so teach yourself something about the systems before posting again.

quote:

So that''s why I am posting this question. Please consider answering this question so that I can go back over to my friend''s house and watch him create a game or two.

A typical game development cycle these days is a minimum of one year. Our latest published game Championship Surfer took just over one year to develop with a large team of professional coders and artists. You are going to sit there and watch "Eric the fish/cat/half-a-bee" create a game or two? I hope you are extremely patient.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Code Monkey  Krome Studios

Let''s face it, he''s a software pirate. No, don''t deny it rodney. I mean, come on, who the heck owns ALL of those? Does anyone on the face of the earth own all of those legitamately who doesn''t work FOR microsoft? If you do, you got some dough, my friend. And can I borrow some.

I am Nobody, who are you? Are you Nobody too?

rodney: You need help, son. Normal people don''t be acting this way.

Instead of coming here and asking all these non-sensical questions (just what the hell are you really trying to do anyway?), just pick up your favorite development tool (I don''t give a flying fuck which one, any Borland product will do) and start to use the damn thing. In time, all will become clear to you.

And by the way, moron, what part of "don''t make the same post repeatedly, and only post in one forum" didn''t you understand?

Down with Tiberia!

I would answer the question here, but.... err... my friend... is looking up pr0n.

Dear lord..

I can remember reading this guys old posts when he started posting and being annoyed and pissed off after a while. But now I read this post.. I really feel sorry for the guy now.

There''s such a pathetic quality in the last line, "watch him create a game or two." The poor little guy just wants to know how to make games.

That said. GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GO READ A BOOK OR SOMETHING. I seriously doubt anyone here learned how to program by farting out the names of a bunch of development tools over and over and spouting dialogs with "friends" who somehow have come into thousands of dollars worth of IDEs and compilers (all "LEGAL") and yet hasn''t put forth the time or effort to learn them or even what they do.

You will not make an emulator, a tetris clone, or a "Hello world" program until you sit down and start to learn. Stay away from the message board for at least a week or two while you begin to learn.

I think we all agree that it would be cool when you "could come here and just post questions about when I get stuck on running or writing code instead of posting questions about... {insert entire contents of previous post here}"

So please leave and come back when that time arrives.

quote:
Original post by Sly

A typical game development cycle these days is a minimum of one year. Our latest published game Championship Surfer took just over one year to develop with a large team of professional coders and artists. You are going to sit there and watch "Eric the fish/cat/half-a-bee" create a game or two? I hope you are extremely patient.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams   Code Monkey  Krome Studios

That looks like one heck of a game man. Seeing that you visit the turbo forums, was it written in Delphi?

Sly: In fairness it is possible to write a whole game in a day, I bet I''m not the only person non this board who in a fit of boardom wrote a clone of something like snake in a few hours...even so it must be bloody boring watching someone else programme a game...anyone for watching paint dry with me ?

• Advertisement