• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodneyldixon

Developing Emulators & Roms

This topic is 6479 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there is a way that you can develop emulators & roms for the following systems using a wide range of programming languages & programming tools?: Nintendo 64: Nintendo: Super Nintendo: Gameboy: Gameboy Advanced: Playstation: Playstation 2: XBox: Arcade: The reason I am asking another question so soon is because my friend Eric Gibson that stays in Malone, Florida doesn''t have internet yet, but he knows programming so that''s why he told me to ask for him. But the thing is, he has so many programming tools that he doesn''t use that it ain''t funny. He has the following: Borland C++ Builder: 1.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 Borland Delphi: 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 (All Enterprise Editions) (LEGAL) Visual Basic: 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 (All Enterprise Editions) (LEGAL) Turbo Assembler 5.0, Z80 Assembler, 6502 Assembler, X86 Assembler. (LEGAL) And some more but I can''t name em'' all. Anyways, I went over to his house yesteryday, and got on his computer to check out what all he had and when I so all those programming tools, I said: "You got all these programming tools, and don''t even use them." And he replied," Yes but what can I do with them." And I said, "You can make your own 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games with some of them." And he said," Cool, but can I make my own Emulators & Roms for the above systems using the programming tools that I already have or do I have to get some kind of other programming tool like a different version of assembly?" And I couldn''t tell him anything because I didn''t even know myself. Because I don''t even know any kind of programming language but I do have probably more or less programming tools that Eric Gibson does. In other words, in the long run, we have about the same programming tools. But the only hold back from be creating 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games, emulators and roms is that I don''t know any programming language. I bet if I knew a programming language, I could come here and just post questions about when I get stuck on running or writing code instead of posting questions about: Is there anyway I could create 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games? (Like I did before with my many personalities.) (Delphi Programmer, Curly, Holymonkey etc...) Also, is there anyway I could create emulators & roms for the different systems that I listed? (Like I did in my previous post.) So that''s why I am posting this question. Please consider answering this question so that I can go back over to my friend''s house and watch him create a game or two. Bye Now!

Advertisement
Despite my interest in emulators, I have no idea how to program one. But, you could write one in any language, I would imagine. Just have to read a rom and do what is expected of the original system for that rom. (sounds easy, heh) I mean, you could use visual basic, or maybe even java (*choke*). It would just run as slow as hell. Just my thoughts about something I have no idea about.

>Is there anyway I could create 3D & 2D Windows & Dos games?
Yes!

Napster got shut down for infringing music. Now when will the same happen to emulators?

The only use emulators should have is for console developers trying to program games for something with different hardware from their PCs''. That is the ONLY reason they should exist. It''s simple-- downloading ROMs without owning the cartridges is illegal, and downloading ROMs to games you DO own is against the game''s warranty. There''s no way around it.

Emulators can''t be shut down. They are not illegal.
There are so many different emulators, 90% of them are free, and many have source code.. there''s absoultely no way they''ll ever disappear.

Emulators aren't illegal but neither was napster. I think they've made some new case law, that makes all programs that help you to share copyrighted mp3s illegal. They'll probably use the same argument on emulators some day

Anyway what's wrong with breaking a warranty?

Hey Some Guy: Napster hasn't shutdown it's been told it has to shutdown, but they're appealing so nothing'll happen for a few weeks probably. YOU IDIOT!!!

Edited by - frankd on February 17, 2001 6:31:06 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Napster was allowed to be kept open pending a hearing, I think.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!