Sign in to follow this  

Slaying my first dragon

This topic is 4204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I intend to start C++. I will also learn VB and Direct X when I'm done (I am also going to learn these in Comp Science next year. I'm pretty far in my C++ for dummies book, but I want a break. Anyone know a tut on text rpg creation in C++? (I wanna do one at a time.) Aside from wraithlands. The problem is that my wmp dfoesn't display the text very well, so I can't really see what he is doing. For that reason I prefer a written style tutorial. Also a tut on importing sprites would be nice too :P Is it possible to make a game like asteroids PURELY in C++? It is a reasonable accomplishment, or really complicated? Thx for your help slice P.S. Is it hard to "integrate" different languages into the smae program? EX using C++ and C# to make a game engine?

Quote:
Original post by sliceanddice

P.S. Is it hard to "integrate" different languages into the smae program? EX using C++ and C# to make a game engine?

Sorry this not answer your primary question.
But no, its not hard.
You can do the core rendering engine and Stuff in C++, and then just import the DLLs into C# and use the functions

Easy stuff :)

You can't really do Asteroids "purely" in C++, because C++ doesn't provide any kind of standard graphics library. If you link it to some graphics library (be it GDI for drawing to Win32 windows, GLUT for OpenGL, or something else) then you can do Asteroids just fine with C++ + GLUT.

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
You can't really do Asteroids "purely" in C++, because C++ doesn't provide any kind of standard graphics library. If you link it to some graphics library (be it GDI for drawing to Win32 windows, GLUT for OpenGL, or something else) then you can do Asteroids just fine with C++ + GLUT.
The same goes for almost any high(er) level language around (Python, C#, Visual Basic 6/.NET, etc). The question you have to ask yourself is: Is C++ really right for me?

This topic is 4204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.