Need feedback about EWQLSO Gold

Started by
19 comments, last by teraslasch 17 years, 9 months ago
I need feedback from anyone who owns one of the East West/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra packages (at least gold). I've been earning lots of money this summer, and I'm either going to buy silver or gold edition. Gold seems like it has a *lot* more, but I just want to know how "worth it" it is. I haven't done much orchestral stuff, but that's only because my resources are limited. I'm not going to toot my own horn, but I'm sure if I got Gold it *would* get used. Any feedback? I'm sure *somebody* on this forum has EWQLSO...it's pretty popular...
________________________Quote:OluseyiI knew of a "Christian" couple in Nigeria who named their child "God's End-time Battle Axe." I kid you not.
Advertisement
On this same topic, could I could add my own question..? (sorry man :( )

If I own GPO... how good of a step up would Gold be? Would it be worth the cash?
bump (JUST ONCE THOUGH)
________________________Quote:OluseyiI knew of a "Christian" couple in Nigeria who named their child "God's End-time Battle Axe." I kid you not.
Quote:Original post by Antisheep
I'm not going to toot my own horn,

But if you had the software you WOULD be tooting your own horn.

Ah-ha!

Eh...

Hmm...

Sorry. Don't own either EW or GPO. Haven't heard anyone use them that could fool my ears quite yet, but the power of either libraries must be inspiring.

Tony
Hey. I own EWQLSO Gold, along with a lot of East West's Orchestra software. You will not be disappointed with the quality of the software. It is top notch, just make sure you have the engine in your pc to run it :)

Either way, if you are also a student or educator of some kind, you can get a nice discount from soundsonline.com

If your computer is lacking power, I would suggest silver orchestra and silver pro. It might not sound quite as nice as gold, but unless you have the machines to really show gold off, it might be a frustrating option, whereas silver and silver pro would cost about the same and give you more options, instruments, patches, ect.

If you want to hear what I have done with the orchestra software, (Platinum + Platinum XP), you can check out some of my music.

Sean's Music Page

Nearly everything on that page was made using EW stuff, or at least a fair portion of it combined with other libs.

Regards,
Sean Beeson
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Go with the gold edition. Invariably you'll want to use alot of articulations and playing styles over the life of your composing career and having the silver version will just limit your compositions.

I just got Colossus and basically I've been really let down by it. Having the EWQLSO has been amazing and its pushed my compositions to a level I didn't think possible. I was hoping for the same thing from the Colossus for my pop oriented piece. There are some great sounds- but don't let the demos fool you. The saxophones (I'm a pro saxophone player by the way) are terrible!!! The soprano down right sucks, and all of the saxophones seem to be made solely for hard bebop jazz styles. What if I wanted to use a saxophone in a mellow, almost classical style? (Think of Sneakers soundtrack). It simply won't work. The guitars are not as real sounding as I'd had hoped either.

Also, the trumpet sounds are very weak. For the price and the fact that they do not take back open mechandise- it isn't worth it. But you didn't ask about Colossus- you asked about EWQLSO Gold! Go for it!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

actually, i think the suggestion was to get silver with the silver pro expansion, which together have more (or at least the same amount of) articulations than gold (and require less computing power and ram because they are 16-bit)
Colossus, when you really dig into it, has a lot of bang for it's buck, especially if you got it during the group buy. It includes some of the best taiko from SD, the best bass patches from Hardcore, you have the drum kits from SD. You have a number of ethnic instruments from Rare and Ra.It has good acoustic basses and some nice electric pianos. The orchestra stuff, I feel is the weakest part.

Beeson
www.seanbeeson.com
Quote:Original post by Sean R Beeson
Colossus, when you really dig into it, has a lot of bang for it's buck, especially if you got it during the group buy. It includes some of the best taiko from SD, the best bass patches from Hardcore, you have the drum kits from SD. You have a number of ethnic instruments from Rare and Ra.It has good acoustic basses and some nice electric pianos. The orchestra stuff, I feel is the weakest part.

Beeson

wads the use if the library just takes some from here and there? lol.. i intend to get the special bundled EW RA, Choirs Colossus! I wanna get the plat. xp version, then buy the plat. ewql symphonic orchestra version, which will total to an amount of around 5.3k. In addition, i would definetely get stormdrum too. Do you think the price will maintain the same at the end of the year? or will it go up or down, im afraid that the offer would just go *poof*.. haha
Col. has some of the better material from SD, so unless you REALLY want all of the extra samples in SD (which are great), you have some of the better taiko. It is kind of that way with a few of the libraries that are represented in C.

As for prices, I'm not "IN" on what prices are going to do. I know you are young though as well, so use your positiona as a student to get a huge discount on some of the software, that will always be there.

Beeson
www.seanbeeson.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement