cryptography in videogames

Started by
4 comments, last by Raghar 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi everybody, I've got a big problem to solve quickly maybe someone here can help me... I have to find an example of the use of cryptography and machine learning in videogames... Something like an application of both in the same game, or better the interaction of these two fields in the developement of a videogame... I know it's quite impossible... but please if you can even give me some clue to find articles about this help me :) Thanks to you all Jude
Advertisement
I assume the video game thing is your angle on a homework assignment? In that case, you might want to consider picking a different area to find examples of cryptography in. [wink]

Anyway, Valve encrypted Half-Life 2, requiring you to get it decrypted via Steam. That's the only example of anything related I can think of.
I wrote article about cryptography and random numbers in games. Would you like to do grammar correction of that article?
Hey
I'd love so much to read you article, but I'm Italian and I don't know english very well, i'm not the right one who can do a grammar correction (maybe you were joking?) :)
Anyway,
the aim of my research is to find an example of the interaction (if there is one) of cryptography, especially public key algorithms, and machine learning in the developement of videogames. I know that can sound strange but a professor assigned this task to me and if I don't find something good I'm not gonna graduate...
Thank you so much again :)
I'm just going to assume that your professor isn't crazy, and that he's not asking you to find an example of machine learning AND assymetric cryptography as PART of a gameplay experience.

Some people use public keys as part of a copy protection scheme. One of the products I work on used to do this. We would sign licenses, and our public key (shipped with the product) was used to verify the signature on the licenses at runtime.

Black and White gets lots of kudos for it's machine learning based game play.

If my assumption is wrong, then you might have to write your own game just to meet your prof's requirements. lol You're probably be the first to do it.

Will
------------------http://www.nentari.com
Actually identification of user of a multiplayer game by RSA, or DH cryptography is desirable. Using RSA to avoid hacking of the user acount is also extremely desirable, especially after RSA patent expired in the US.
Other usages of cryptography algorithms, these are often reinventions of wheel, are rotations and shufling.
Machine learning is actually pretty much independent from RSA and other public key algorithms. There are some shuflings that might be viewed as a simillar/identical as some cryptography algorithms, however these are not that much CPU power hungry as public key algorithms. Operations with 4*2^10+ bit long numbers could really kill majority of AIs.
Imagine speed of a b^(xxxx) bit number operation done 10000 per second.

You are actually in a quite fine situation. There are a lot of papers about RSA, and the main things about the machine learning could be writen fairly compactly in aprox 10+ pages.

BTW if someone would want he could combine imunite system, cryptography, and machine learning into one very nice paper. It would be just extraordinary hard to pull it off correctly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement