so what's harder to make?

Started by
7 comments, last by Oni Sephiroth 17 years, 10 months ago
An RTS or an RPG? Reason being is I have 2 ideas for games right now. I'm thinking about taking on the easier of the two, one being an RPG, one being an RTS.
Advertisement
Short answer: none.
Long answer: both are as hard to make [smile]
The easier one is probably the one that you feel more motivated about. Because you will need bottomless motivation to finish either.
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
The easier one is probably the one that you feel more motivated about. Because you will need bottomless motivation to finish either.

mm, very true =)

It will also depend heavily on the type of interface and features you want to build into the game/engine. Typical RTS games require a lot of mouse usage/pathfinding/AI/unit management/etc... . An RPG usually has more scripted interactions, however, that in itself can be a challenge. The interface of the RPG could potentially be just as hard as an RTS, if you're selecting enemies with the mouse and using mouse movement.

Just some things to keep in mind. Though, as mentioned above, the biggest key to success, no matter which genre, is motivation and interest.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
The real problem (aside from motivation, and assuming you can handle the technical difficulties) is the sheer amount of content needed for both game types. RTS probably needs less but it's still substantial. If you are not exactly expecting to get published or to sell the game or to even bring it to professional level though, you can just have fun with the process. Game programming as a hobby should be "fun" first and foremost, in my opinion.
RTS and RPG are both very complex genres of game, involving lots of content and logic at once.

If you haven't made Space Invaders yet, you're unlikely to succeed at either -- I wouldn't really attempt something with RTS-level AI without at least three years of game development under my belt, and I wouldn't try the content required for an RPG (including a scripting engine and art) without about the same.
Both will be hard, but whichever one you don't want to do most will be harder.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
RTS and RPG are both very complex genres of game, involving lots of content and logic at once.

If you haven't made Space Invaders yet, you're unlikely to succeed at either -- I wouldn't really attempt something with RTS-level AI without at least three years of game development under my belt, and I wouldn't try the content required for an RPG (including a scripting engine and art) without about the same.

well obviously I don't intend on making either as my first game, that would just be plain stupid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement