• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deliverance

OpenGL OpenGl Vertex Arrays

This topic is 4417 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there! What exactly does the glLockVertexArrays() function and how it is used? What is the difference between compiled vertex arrays and Vertex Buffer Objects, can glLockVertexArrays() be used on VBO's?

Advertisement
Long story short; it isn't.

The reason is this extension was designed pre-HW T&L, it informed the driver that you weren't going to touch a certain block of vertex data and that it could cache the results from its T&L calculations so they can be reused on 2nd or more pass.

These days it useless due to hardware T&L which doesn't cache the results outside the chip (they have pre and post T&L caches on chip but these are small and only for the current batch).

So, in closing, forget this extension exists.

VBO's provide a method that, by design, should keep data resident on the video card. Other methods do not guarantee this behavior.

Not entirely sure what you mean but glLockVertexArrays() though, can you provide a reference?

Thanks for the reply!
One more question: how can I optimize the rendering without VBO's and even with them how can I achieve the best frame rates? (or a damn good framerate if not the best) I mean how can I achieve maximum performance on a geforce2?

here's a reference
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.doc/libs/openglrf/glLockArraysEXT.htm

it's glLockArrays(), sorry :)

Quote:
Original post by Deliverance
One more question: how can I optimize the rendering without VBO's and even with them how can I achieve the best frame rates? (or a damn good framerate if not the best) I mean how can I achieve maximum performance on a geforce2?

A good way is to implement both, and test them under sample conditions of what you expect your renderer to handle. There's really no hard and fast rule on 'which way is best', you just need to try it out.
(EDIT: By both I mean with and without VBO's)

Okay then, I was wondering if there could be any "dark-magic" involving real fps boosts by just one or two function calls besides VBO and VA

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!