Is Torque a good engine for a small commercial game?

Started by
6 comments, last by Maquiavel 17 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I am old in this forum (I think). I used to visit it everyday in 2004. That year I was studying game development, but unfortunately I had to stop, because I have founded a web software company (I am from Brazil). Actually, I am focusing games again and already have a project to develop. My father has a fishing TV Show very known here in Brazil and he wants a game for his show as a new marketing product. The game has to be a kind of Fishing Tournament using his voices, name, logo, character, brazilian fishes and scenarios. But, it does not have to be next-gen and/or so powerful, because its focus are children. I have 2 years (deadline is 25/07/2008). In this two years, I have to study all game development and program and write everything. For the art / modeling I will hire some guys. But all the programming / project lead / game design is on my own. I have 6 years of experience in PHP web programming and had studied C, but have never used it, so I forgot almost everything. I own 2 C++ books: C++ How to Program and the C++ book from the creator (dont remember the name). My questions are: a. It is possible in this time to learn game dev. and develop a game like this? I can study everything by myself and with quickly answer. b. I searched a lot and found the Torque engine (www.garagegames.com). The good point it is very cheap ~ $399,00 (we do not have a lot of cash for this, because I will have to pay the designers). Is it a good engine for a commercial game? I think if I buy it, I will only need to program the scripts / design the scenarios, characters, etc, but the "raw" programming will be done. Am I right? I really need to know if it is a recommended and good engine for a small, but very serious game. Or should I write my own engine? Thanks, Regarsds, Alfred Sorry for my English. [Edited by - Maquiavel on June 15, 2006 2:34:07 PM]
Alfred Reinold Baudisch[Game Development Student] [MAC lover] [Ruby, Ruby on Rails and PHP developer] [Twitter]
Advertisement
For the price, it's hard to find something that can beat it (particularly with the scripting engine and multiplayer/multiplatform support) and you can develop something very quickly in it.

The people on the Torque forums can probably give you more information but I've seen some really neat games done in it without even touching C++.
Torque is overkill for a Fishing Game, you won't need it.

Here is a thought, given your background as web developer:
Why not make this game in Flash as part of your dad's website?

It would fit with the marketing and publicity goal, and probably be closer to your existing skills than learning C/C++ and openGL from scratch.
You can probably make your fishing game straight from the torque scripting language which will allow oyu to focus on that rather than bother with even learning c++.
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
For your A question: yes, you can learn what you need and get it done in 2 years, if you work hard, and if you take advantage of pre-built tools and engines as much as possible. Definitely don't skimp on hiring artists, though.

Torque will definitely do what you need, but as has been mentioned in might be overkill.

Do you have any additional details on the game's requirements? For instance, are you looking for a 3D game or just something 2D with some layer-based graphics? In the latter case, definitely go with something like Flash - or, if you're interested in coding it yourself to save money on development tools, Python + PyGame.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Thanks for all the replies, I have read all!
1) Sorry, I didnt understand. What is the meaning of overkill in this case?

2) About it being Flash or other simple type of game, like Py, it is a question in the future. The first question is that it has to be a product to selling hand-to-hand in a box . And second I am registering a game sub-division of my company. My company is Auriumsoft (www.auriumsoft.com.br) and the AuriumGames is the game side (www.auriumgames.com). I want this Fishing Game to be my and AuriumGames hit on the game market. So, it has to be 3D. Not a powerful, but at least 3D. This first game needs to be simple like as said above, but I have lots of plans to develop advanced games like FPS, RPG, Stealth with an advanced engine.
Then looking for your comments, Torque seems to be a good engine / investiment, and my first step and moreover a kind of tutorial to learn how to develop more advanced games, is this right to think?

And wheter a simple game is needed again, I can use Torque for it.

Have you seen the source code of it? Is easy to learn the logic of a game, advanced graphics techinics, etc?
Alfred Reinold Baudisch[Game Development Student] [MAC lover] [Ruby, Ruby on Rails and PHP developer] [Twitter]
Quote:Original post by Maquiavel

For my ideas, "overkill" mean:
1. It has a lot of function that you don't need and you may never use it.
2. It's much more powerful than you need so you will spent more time on it.

Torque is a powerful engine may fit your need, I think.

About Flash, you can master in minutes.

Good luck!
Quote:Original post by savedbygamesandcodes
Quote:Original post by Maquiavel

For my ideas, "overkill" mean:
1. It has a lot of function that you don't need and you may never use it.
2. It's much more powerful than you need so you will spent more time on it.

Torque is a powerful engine may fit your need, I think.

About Flash, you can master in minutes.

Good luck!

你好!
Thanks for your reply. Now I have understood "overkill".
About Flash, this game cant be a Flash game :(

再见! (You are from China, aren't you? If not, ignore the charcters).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement