Sign in to follow this  

Game Idea: Horny Squirrel

This topic is 4190 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just had a funny idea for a game, which I call Horny Squirrel. Inspiration: The frantic and hilarious squirrel chase scene in the disney animated feature, The Sword in the Stone. Object: run around on a tree trying to hump as many female squirrels as possible within a set time limit. Gameplay: The game should take place in a tree, where the protagonist (a male squirrel) can manuever around, running on branches, hopping onto different branches , chasing squirrels and trying to score. Can also try to hump dogs and cats, skunks, opossums, etc... by jumping and landing on their backs. Must hang on long enough to finish scoring. If player falls out of tree, there should be a dog or cat waiting to pounce on him/her. Of course, if the player lands on the predator, he/she can try to score with that animal as well. Dogs/Cats do not kill the squirrel, but simply delay it from achieving its objective. Finally, the player can choose a gender from the main menu. Controls: Fully mouse controlled. Hold down the first mouse button to run, second button to jump, and use mouse axis to turn. When your character finally lands a female squirrel, must tap the run button furiously to hang on. Also, must try to steer in the direction the humpee is trying to flee, otherwise your character dismounts and starts over. Implementation: The tree should be rendered in 3D so as to allow for the greatest possible freedom of movement. Each branch acts like a rail, directing the squirrel's movement along a set path. The squirrel will automatically cling to branches unless it jumps or steers in the wrong direction. This mechanic should be forgiving, allowing the squirrel to remain attached to the branch unless it makes an obvious error in steering. When a squirrel reaches a junction in the tree (i.e. a forked branch) the player can use the mouse to steer in the direction of the branch he wants to follow next. When jumping, the camera automatically looks "downward," affording the played the best visible vantage point. The player can also "air-control" jumps to reach his/her target. Physics: The Tree Branch simlulation should allow for proper physics modeling. Each branch should give under the player's weight. That is, if the player jumps from on branch to another, the momentum shift should cause each branch to sway/flex appropriately. Final Notes: I'm definately going to start this game soon. Maybe use cell-shaded graphics for style. I'm laughing just thinking about it! What do you guys think?

I like it. Vulgar, but in a lighthearted, inoffensive manner. The tricky part will be animating it in a way which keeps it lighthearted rather than turning it into a Squirrel Sex Simulator. Cel shading is a good idea to achieve this; artful camera angles and hugely over-the-top expressions would also help.

Good feedback, except for Mark...

How could this game be anymore sexually explicit than
Hot Coffee in GTA San Andreas? Wouldn't you say carjacking, brutally killing and beating civilians is worse than the kind of action you see on the discovery channel?

The strange situation of sexuality being more taboo than extreme violence is an interesting topic to debate, but it is what it is. If you're not going for marketability, of course, do whatever you want, but if you are then you need to be reeeeally careful to keep even a whiff of prurience out of the game experience.

Yeah, this isn't necessarily a bad idea just sort of low-brow sounding to me, I probably wouldn't play it, but I'm sure there's a market for it.

And for me, it's not the "OMG explicit!" it's the "OMG retarded!"

It just doesn't like fun to me, the whole concept is like what a junior high school student would joke about with his frineds, but that's my view, and you can do whatever you want.
I'm sure if it's fun people will love to play it -and that's the whole point, after all.

Came accross a 2D German shareware game one day (I think it was by CDV, but I'm not sure) that basicly had the player as a rooster going around mounting chickens that were going about their business on the screen as a crow or something dropped bombs from above. Entertaining for a very short while especially since the shareware version only had one level and that got old real fast.

I'd say focus on making the chase as much fun as the score. And remember that in any game, if there's no feeling of progression or apropriate challenge, the amusement factor will loose it's value after awhile.

As for the subject matter, IMO, it doesn't matter if you're making a game because you thought of something you figured would be fun to do. But if you want to sell it, just know your target audience and learn about the way to market your product properly.

sounds like a happy mix of Conker , Shadow of the colossus and dating (read:hentai) games :)

Might be a fun idea for a console game.

On second thought, thats non-consensual animal sex, which pretty much makes it a rape simulator. Should sell great in japan, but you'll get blasted here !

About the gameplay: Avoid the "tapping furiously to hang on". Tapping a button furiously is SO 1990.

What's wrong with Nintendo thumb? :D

As for the game idea, I think it's hilarious! I remember that scene in the movie and it was pretty cute in a youthful romance sort of way. I think you could do pretty well if you build it more as a flirting game than as a "rape" game, as Steadtler said. Especially if you model it after the energy of the movie; like I said, I thought it was cute.

I don't know how well something like this would sell, though. Definitely very niche-market. But it might also be a fun quick game to play and I bet it would have a decent proportion of female players if you managed the flirting atmosphere well enough.

I say go for it, I love the idea!

Quote:
On second thought, thats non-consensual animal sex, which pretty much makes it a rape simulator. Should sell great in japan, but you'll get blasted here !

Well if you made it concenting that would solve that problem (but not the animal sex one). Just make sure the "female" will occasionally stop and give the chacing "males" a come hither look if they start to fall behind (or somehting like that).

Hehe, sounds pretty funny. It sounds more like a novelty game though. You know, like a Flash based game you might play on a web site for a few minutes while you're bored at work :D

I'm finding it very difficult to come up with a game idea, perhaps you can also enlighten me to what psychotropic drugs you're taking too? :P

Quote:
Original post by Codejack
Hehe, sounds pretty funny. It sounds more like a novelty game though. You know, like a Flash based game you might play on a web site for a few minutes while you're bored at work :D

I'm finding it very difficult to come up with a game idea, perhaps you can also enlighten me to what psychotropic drugs you're taking too? :P

Hahaha, classic.
I agree with that statement, minus the psychotropic drugs request.

Well I had the vision of a first-person view with a squirrel jumping from branch to branch at a pace only rodents manage to achieve. In the Disney movie spirit, the main idea in the squirrel transformation is to feel the freedom and the weakness of these creatures. By looking at it, you would say that Arthur can run, jump, jump, run, go up, go down, choose a branch, etc... without much worries, just going on and on. I think there is room for a fast-paced freedom-feeling game...

The sex theme doesn't look particularly disturbing to me, I mean, come on! it's squirrel sex! But it is limitating, you could also be a predator, or a prey (to cats, it could be very breath taking :-) or flee a burning forest, or try to track a target on the ground (like horsemen abducting your newfound bride)

Wow! Nice feeback. I didn't expect this thread to continue on as long for as it has.

The burning forest idea sounds awesome! I don't intend for the game to have much of a story line, but I can see how esacping from a burning forest would make for a compelling action sequence.

After reading some of the above posts, I got the impression that people think the action should be in first person. I was thinking a 3rd person, behind the squirrel perspective would be better because then the character's physical expressions, movements are visible. For example, if the player somehow barely lands on a branch after falling a great distance, you could see the player desparately cling to the branch as it bends under his weight. Once the branch stabilizes sufficiently, the player can climb back on and continue the chase. Again, 3rd person provides visiual feedback in terms of character animations that help the player gauge what exactly is happening on screen.

As for the dude who called my game a squirrel rape simulator... well that's just the point. Do female squirrels give "come-hither" looks? I think not. You have to chase them down otherwise the game'd be no fun. However, I do like the idea of a flirting game mechanic. Perhaps the female squirrels could give audible/visual clues (i.e. come hither looks/sounds/gestures) to which the player could respond. The ensuing chase could be a game of hard-to-get rather than a nonconsentual rape act. That would keep congress happy.

As I have no intentions of marketing the game to a mass audience, I think I could get away with being lewd. Also, I realized that "Randy Squirrel" would make a better title, where Randy would be the main character's name, a clever play on words if you ask me...Go ahead... Ask!

Finally, I figure the game's real draw would be its core gameplay, the furious branch-hopping action. I reckon zooming around a 3D tree would be fun as heck. Also, I don't consider the sex aesthetic a gimick designed to draw peoples' attention. The chase sequences will be deep, nuanced, and addictive. If everything goes according to plan, the game should be interesting to play for quite a while.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
The strange situation of sexuality being more taboo than extreme violence is an interesting topic to debate, but it is what it is.

That pretty much depends on which country you are living in though [smile]
South Park was allowed from age 7 here (your equivalent of PG?). Whilst a movie like Mortal Kombat was age 15, which is the equivalent of your R-17, only it's R-15 (ie bringing parents along won't help you get in).

Cool game idea btw, could turn out pretty cool with the suggested cartoonish look&feel. Anyone played that hentai shmup where you shoot clothes off of girls btw?

I definitely like the tree environment. I think that trees have been an under-utilized space for game environments, with everything based on the right angles of coordinate systems and human buildings. What would the N game be like in a forest instead of a tile-based world?

However, I think your gameplay could be developed past the gimmicky idea of squirrel humping to a more deep and strategic game about the evolutionary dynamics of sexual selection. Here's the idea: the object of the game is to get as many offspring as possible, not just hump as many squirrels as possible. Each squirrel would have its own genetic code determining its behavior and physical characteristics, which is passed on to its offspring. The player's squirrel would not be the only male; instead there would be many squirrels eating and mating in one big happy ecosystem. In fact, the player's squirrel might not always be male either, but we'll get to that later.

So let's say you are chasing one particular female. Maybe she is not putting up much of a fight (a behavior based on her genes). If she's this easy, then there's a higher probability that she has already been impregnated by another male. So is it worth it going after her?

The game would probably be separated into rounds, based on generations of squirrels. The simplest way I can think of is when your squirrel dies, of old age (five minutes) or something more violent, it goes to the next generation. Then, your control switches to one of your offspring, at random. This way, you have some incentive to include long-term strategy in your mating habits. You want to make sure most of your babies grow up to be strong, healthy squirrels, since you will have to be one of them in the future, and you don't get to just choose the best one! Since you get points for how many offspring you have each round, there is some interesting tension between trying to mate with every female you can, and only mating with the good ones.

Not only that, but you might end up controlling a female squirrel, which produces another set of gameplay choices. As a female, you can only have one litter of babies at a time, unlike the males, who can father babies for each female they impregnate. This means you will have to emphasize quality over quantity, so you will definitely want to mate with only the best males. Maybe they will fight for the privilege of mating with you and you can allow the winner to mate. Also, there is the issue of parenting. It's better for you to have males who will stick around and get food for you while you are pregnant, instead of running off to mate with other females. (of course, like lifespan, pregnancy time would be very much shortened compared to real life)

So there are kind of two games in one, female and male, as well as many more levels of decision-making (short-term and long-term and in-between), which is important to an "addictive" game experience. Maybe it could even be used in sex-ed classes! :p

Let me know what you think of this idea, and if you want any help in the design or programming of the game.

This topic is 4190 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.