Game Idea: Horny Squirrel

Started by
20 comments, last by axcho 17 years, 9 months ago
I just had a funny idea for a game, which I call Horny Squirrel. Inspiration: The frantic and hilarious squirrel chase scene in the disney animated feature, The Sword in the Stone. Object: run around on a tree trying to hump as many female squirrels as possible within a set time limit. Gameplay: The game should take place in a tree, where the protagonist (a male squirrel) can manuever around, running on branches, hopping onto different branches , chasing squirrels and trying to score. Can also try to hump dogs and cats, skunks, opossums, etc... by jumping and landing on their backs. Must hang on long enough to finish scoring. If player falls out of tree, there should be a dog or cat waiting to pounce on him/her. Of course, if the player lands on the predator, he/she can try to score with that animal as well. Dogs/Cats do not kill the squirrel, but simply delay it from achieving its objective. Finally, the player can choose a gender from the main menu. Controls: Fully mouse controlled. Hold down the first mouse button to run, second button to jump, and use mouse axis to turn. When your character finally lands a female squirrel, must tap the run button furiously to hang on. Also, must try to steer in the direction the humpee is trying to flee, otherwise your character dismounts and starts over. Implementation: The tree should be rendered in 3D so as to allow for the greatest possible freedom of movement. Each branch acts like a rail, directing the squirrel's movement along a set path. The squirrel will automatically cling to branches unless it jumps or steers in the wrong direction. This mechanic should be forgiving, allowing the squirrel to remain attached to the branch unless it makes an obvious error in steering. When a squirrel reaches a junction in the tree (i.e. a forked branch) the player can use the mouse to steer in the direction of the branch he wants to follow next. When jumping, the camera automatically looks "downward," affording the played the best visible vantage point. The player can also "air-control" jumps to reach his/her target. Physics: The Tree Branch simlulation should allow for proper physics modeling. Each branch should give under the player's weight. That is, if the player jumps from on branch to another, the momentum shift should cause each branch to sway/flex appropriately. Final Notes: I'm definately going to start this game soon. Maybe use cell-shaded graphics for style. I'm laughing just thinking about it! What do you guys think?
Advertisement
Hentai style eh...?
I like it. Vulgar, but in a lighthearted, inoffensive manner. The tricky part will be animating it in a way which keeps it lighthearted rather than turning it into a Squirrel Sex Simulator. Cel shading is a good idea to achieve this; artful camera angles and hugely over-the-top expressions would also help.
I would almost say this is one of those ideas that needs to be kept to one's self.

Permanently.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Good feedback, except for Mark...

How could this game be anymore sexually explicit than
Hot Coffee in GTA San Andreas? Wouldn't you say carjacking, brutally killing and beating civilians is worse than the kind of action you see on the discovery channel?
The strange situation of sexuality being more taboo than extreme violence is an interesting topic to debate, but it is what it is. If you're not going for marketability, of course, do whatever you want, but if you are then you need to be reeeeally careful to keep even a whiff of prurience out of the game experience.
Yeah, this isn't necessarily a bad idea just sort of low-brow sounding to me, I probably wouldn't play it, but I'm sure there's a market for it.

And for me, it's not the "OMG explicit!" it's the "OMG retarded!"

It just doesn't like fun to me, the whole concept is like what a junior high school student would joke about with his frineds, but that's my view, and you can do whatever you want.
I'm sure if it's fun people will love to play it -and that's the whole point, after all.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

interesting idea, sounds like it could be funny for awhile.

However, Change the name to Happy Squirrel,...
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Came accross a 2D German shareware game one day (I think it was by CDV, but I'm not sure) that basicly had the player as a rooster going around mounting chickens that were going about their business on the screen as a crow or something dropped bombs from above. Entertaining for a very short while especially since the shareware version only had one level and that got old real fast.

I'd say focus on making the chase as much fun as the score. And remember that in any game, if there's no feeling of progression or apropriate challenge, the amusement factor will loose it's value after awhile.

As for the subject matter, IMO, it doesn't matter if you're making a game because you thought of something you figured would be fun to do. But if you want to sell it, just know your target audience and learn about the way to market your product properly.
sounds like a happy mix of Conker , Shadow of the colossus and dating (read:hentai) games :)

Might be a fun idea for a console game.

On second thought, thats non-consensual animal sex, which pretty much makes it a rape simulator. Should sell great in japan, but you'll get blasted here !

About the gameplay: Avoid the "tapping furiously to hang on". Tapping a button furiously is SO 1990.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement