New Rendering Techniques?

Started by
4 comments, last by jgreywolf 23 years, 2 months ago
Hello out there. Had a quick question for people...see if anyone had any thoughts or opinions. We are in the midst of doing two things right now. Working on our first game, and working on a next gen engine (for our second game). Anyway, there are a lot of features that are not found in any games (or most games) right now that we are working to include in this engine. One of those is the idea of "clothing that acts like clothing should" The idea that one of our programmers had for doing this is to "double Skin" a model. So that the clothing could move independently from the model (thinking mostly of reactions from wind, moving, etc) Anyone else see any relative problems with that (other than adding yet one more thing for both the processor and the graphics to handle)? We had a few other ideas...most of which are going fine..but some are giving us problems (like above). Like adding a mirror to a room, that truly reflects what is before it. Justin http://www.lostware.com
Advertisement
Cloth simulations are nothing new, and you can add one if you have a fast enough processer, if....
Ever played hitman: codenam 47?
Yeah. The one time I tried to play Hitman I thought it really sucked. Controls that were not obvious, graphics that did not display correctly (lots of white areas), etc.

But I did not see anything like what I am talking about.

granted, part of what we are trying to do is to get these to work on something like a PII 450. Rather than having to go out and buy a new computer everytime some new game comes out...

I will paraphrase a quote I read off another board : "Faster Algorithims will always beat Faster Computers"

Justin
Dream on!
Blah. Now I feel stupid.

My post was brought about by a discussion between me, and a couple of other people on the team about what we would like to see in a game engine, etc.

Mirrorred surfaces and cloth simulation were a couple of those. After reading the reply here, and then playing hitman on a computer that actually HAS a 3D card, I see what jrz and the anon poster was saying.

Then I went and talked with our lead developer....who just looked at me and said "yeah and? Our engine can already handle that"

Note to self, remember to talk to team before asking silly questions.

Justin
http://www.lostware.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement