Sign in to follow this  

Start Up Development Input/Collaboration

This topic is 4197 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Greetings- This is going to be kind of a unique post seeking information, so please bear with me. I am posting here in search of some input, advice and/or collaboration with people experienced in the development of business related documents (i.e. business plans, executive overviews etc.) for start up companies in the game development industry. Or if anyone knows of a place to look for people experienced in business development for game dev. While Im still considered a relative youngster in years of experience in game development, I started my first indie game development studio in late 2001. That studio is thriving sucessfully today and its first title in development is in the final stages of publishing negotiations and we are expecting a Q1 2007 release of the title in development. I have been working on researching and gathering information for a second studio for the large part of 2006 and I believe I have gathered enough information to begin laying the groundwork for a very unique studio working on an extremely ambitious multi platform premiere title. Due to the sensitivity of the information, I can not post the details in this forum. Believe me, I understand that with holding information in posts seeking help is considered taboo, but what I can tell you is that I have made contact with outsourcing companies, porting companies, technology liscensing companies and administrative IT companies. It is a very unique company concept based very similar to the previous studio I founded in 2001 but is much larger scale. I have also put together a rough projected budget for the project which is however not in Excel format, just numbers researched and estimated in a doc format. I hope you can understand and bear with the fact I can not post specific details in this post. I will be more than happy to discuss particulars to qualified/interested parties. If you are interested in giving input/advice or possible collarboration with a start up studio, please post your contact details below or mail a resume to: micah@reverieentertainment.net I appreciate your time. Any thoughts or initial input on this topic or information on where to get in contact with experienced business developers would be greatly appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Micah wrote:

>This is going to be kind of a unique post seeking information

What's so unique about it?

>I am posting here in search of ... a place to look for people experienced in business development for game dev.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
http://www.gamasutra.com/contractwork/businesslegal.php

>we are expecting a Q1 2007 release of the title in development.

Congratulations.

>I understand that with holding information in posts seeking help is considered taboo

Nonsense, it's completely understandable.

>I have also put together a rough projected budget for the project which is however not in Excel format, just numbers researched and estimated in a doc format.

You can easily put it in Excel format (and you should).

>I will be more than happy to discuss particulars to qualified/interested parties.

You're prepared to pay these parties, right? My favorite part of this is that here in this post you're seeking a bizdev manager (?) yet on your website it says: "Currently there are no open positions. However Reverie World Studios is always looking to fill different positions, covering many different fields. From programming, design, art, animation, business etc."

>Any thoughts ... on where to get in contact with experienced business developers would be greatly appreciated!

Gamasutra. Click the Companies tab. Click Business & Legal. IGDA website. Click Forums. Click Business & Legal. http://www.creativeheads.net/ or http://www.gamejobs.com/, post a want ad. For starters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsloper:

>"You're prepared to pay these parties, right?"

As the post said, qualifed/interested parties could inquire about more information. Im not planning on paying people who are seeking more information. Heh, sorry.

As for future payments, contracts can be easily arranged to cover the specifics of reimbursement, these can be prepared in advance, but logically when a company is creating business plans and executive overviews they are not paying in advance. Im quite capable of working with both Angel and VC investors and do have a bit of experience doing such- this post however is focused on locating individuals to help develop these business plans, overviews, pro formas etc.

>"My favorite part of this is that here in this post you're seeking a bizdev manager (?) yet on your website it says: "Currently there are no open positions. However Reverie World Studios is always looking to fill different positions, covering many different fields. From programming, design, art, animation, business etc."

Im looking for possibly an executive level businessman looking for a chance to get in at groundlevel. Not a "bizdev manager". And Reverie World Studios, Inc. is in NO WAY affiliated with this company. Which is why their name was never even mentioned.

I appreciate the links and information!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trib (I forget what he said before his human name was) said:

>As the post said, qualifed/interested parties could inquire about more information.

Yeah, well, you could try actually contacting qualified parties via telephone.

>Im not planning on paying people who are seeking more information. Heh, sorry.

Of course. And that's not what I was saying. Let me spell it out more clearly: No serious party who's got the qualifications you seek is going to work on spec. Hopefully you are planning to actually pay the person you hire, from the get-go. (That was the gist of what I said before.)

>As for future payments, contracts can be easily arranged to cover the specifics of reimbursement, these can be prepared in advance, but logically when a company is creating business plans and executive overviews they are not paying in advance.

Yeah, see, that's what I thought. You're one o' those "work for us now and get paid later" operations. Typical.

>Im quite capable of working with both Angel and VC investors and do have a bit of experience doing such- this post however is focused on locating individuals to help develop these business plans, overviews, pro formas etc.

IMO, to reiterate: nobody who can do that will be willing to do it for no money down. It takes money to make money. If you can't pay him, you're not ready to embark on this venture.

>Im looking for possibly an executive level businessman looking for a chance to get in at groundlevel. Not a "bizdev manager".

Since you hadn't used specific words like that before, I had to make up something. So shoot me.

>And Reverie World Studios, Inc. is in NO WAY affiliated with this company. Which is why their name was never even mentioned.

Yeah, I did forget that part, didn't I. New startup, not continuation of previous one. My bad.

>I appreciate the links and information!

You're welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom-

> "Yeah, well, you could try actually contacting qualified parties via telephone."

I am of course more than willing to contact qualified parties via telephone after attaining contact details of the said interested parties. But Im not going to put my telephone up here unfortunately.

> "Yeah, see, that's what I thought. You're one o' those "work for us now and get paid later" operations. Typical."

I assure you Tom. It is far from "Typical." As specified earlier, with my previous experience in founding a game development studio, I have had very little trouble in locating and working out agreements and future arrangements with outsourcing studios, porting studios, liscensing for next generation technology as well as liscensing for administrative programs to increase productivity. These companies have been addressed and lined up BEFORE a penny of investments were lined up.

Which brings me to my next point-

> "IMO, to reiterate: nobody who can do that will be willing to do it for no money down. It takes money to make money. If you can't pay him, you're not ready to embark on this venture."

Im glad you added "IMO" before you stated that comment because that statement was quite untrue and was simply- just your opinion. Granted the bulk of ventures started without capital down before putting together business documents are probably doomed to failure. But not every venture.

I can vouch that AAA quality people are willing to work for those rare endeavors before investments are secured. I have done it before and intend to do it again. In fact I already am doing it again.

Im not familiar with the number of corporations you have founded or that amount of investments you have secured for your corporations so I apologise if I came across as doubtful to your qualifications to start up corporations. I did see that you have many years of experience in the game industry, but I was curious as to your qualifications and experience in start up game development studios.

That was not intended to sound as an insult and I apologise if it was taken that way, I was just merely looking to see how much experience you have in founding and financing game development studios.

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Micah wrote:

>I am of course more than willing to contact qualified parties via telephone after attaining contact details of the said interested parties. But Im not going to put my telephone up here unfortunately.

Never suggested you should. Most folks conduct their partner searches "offline" (in private, without resorting to public bulletin boards).

I had also written:

>> "Yeah, see, that's what I thought. You're one o' those "work for us now and get paid later" operations. Typical."

>I assure you Tom. It is far from "Typical."

I assure you, Micah. I have gotten numerous inquiries from "I got no money yet" guys like you. It is most definitely typical, in my experience.

I'd also written:

>> "IMO, to reiterate: nobody who can do that will be willing to do it for no money down. It takes money to make money. If you can't pay him, you're not ready to embark on this venture."

And you replied:

>Im glad you added "IMO" before you stated that comment because that statement was quite untrue and was simply- just your opinion.

Yes. I am the only person in the universe who thinks it would be stupid for someone with that sort of valuable qualifications to give his valuable services with nothing more than a promise of payment in the hypothetical future. I am most definitely an idiot in this regard, and I most humbly bow out of this conversation now.

P.S. How odd that I'm the only person who's responded to your post thus far... Wonder why that is... Oh, well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tom-

Your clearly taking this personal and that was not the intention. I appreciate the information you gave off initially and am sorry you were insulted.

>"Yes. I am the only person in the universe who thinks it would be stupid for someone with that sort of valuable qualifications to give his valuable services with nothing more than a promise of payment in the hypothetical future. I am most definitely an idiot in this regard, and I most humbly bow out of this conversation now."

Clearly you were taking this all personally and Im sorry to see that. I never said you were an idiot or even insinuated as much. As I mentioned previously, I noticed you have had a long career in game development and I am not doubting your intellectual capabilities.

>"I assure you, Micah. I have gotten numerous inquiries from "I got no money yet" guys like you. It is most definitely typical, in my experience."

I was not doubting for a second that was not a typical scenario for you. I was however saying that this situation was NOT typical for the many reasons I have listed numerous times in this post. You are aware as well as I am that the scenarios you are referring to probably DID NOT have any previous experience in start up and had not already lined up studios all over the world before they even had a business plan on paper.

>"P.S. How odd that I'm the only person who's responded to your post thus far... Wonder why that is... Oh, well."

Perhaps because they were not qualified or did not have something to mention that would enrich the topic.

>"It is most definitely typical, in my experience."

Speaking of your experience, I notice you evaded my question as to your experience level in startup. So I will repost it.

"Im not familiar with the number of corporations you have founded or that amount of investments you have secured for your corporations so I apologise if I came across as doubtful to your qualifications to start up corporations. I did see that you have many years of experience in the game industry, but I was curious as to your qualifications and experience in start up game development studios."

Thanks Tom!

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In an effort to return this post to its original topic- I am sure most questions you may have had about the company were probably answered by Tom's questions and my answers. If you do have any further questions, please do not hesitate to email me or post any questions here.

I appreciate your time and consideration!

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer
micah@reverieentertainment.net

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well. Tom has some valid points; the people you want to get involved on this (biz people, ideally with startup experience) know their worth. In most cases, they're harder to involve on 'spec' than programmers/artists/designers who can be convinced to work for free in return for the gold at the mythical end of the rainbow.

There's quite a few high-profile individuals dealing specifically with this kind of structuring and startup support (Obscure springs to mind, seeing as he's the moderator of this forum). In most cases (including Tom's, from the sound of it), they get too many "I have a great idea, help me realize it and I'll let you have a big slice of paper" requests in any given week. While yours may be more realisic than the usual 14-year-old-with-MMOG rubbish, you're still asking them to do work for free.

Allan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey Allan-

Granted yes I'm sure Tom maybe flooded with requests from 14 years olds looking to create a MMORPG, for the reasons I have listed several times throughout this post- this is by far not the typical scenario.

You have to keep in mind that the more companies you get on board just from meetings and talking basic details before you even begin putting down the official business plan on paper, means it will be much easier to get qualified people on board. In fact lining up experienced developers, designers, producers is quite easy when you have experience and have next generation technology lined up for licensing as well as studios ready for porting, outsourcing and other tasks among many things. However- Im not looking for designers, programmers or producers. Im looking for businessman (visionaries) who are looking for an opportunity to get in at ground level in what will be a large independent studio.

Im quite confident that a qualified candidate would be willing to work out an agreement when they looked over the scope of this project and the details already lined up.

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by tribal_warrior
You have to keep in mind that the more companies you get on board just from meetings and talking basic details before you even begin putting down the official business plan on paper, means it will be much easier to get qualified people on board. In fact lining up experienced developers, designers, producers is quite easy when you have experience and have next generation technology lined up for licensing as well as studios ready for porting, outsourcing and other tasks among many things. However- Im not looking for designers, programmers or producers.

Im looking for businessman (visionaries) who are looking for an opportunity to get in at ground level in what will be a large independent studio.


Like Tom and Odin, I am a quite confused by conflicting information in your posts.

  • You said you already have "started [your] first indie game development studio [that] is thriving successfully today".
  • Your name is listed under "Founder" of Reverie.
  • That implies that you (the plural you, meaning you personally and your other founding friends) already have access to skilled developers and contacts within the industry.
  • It implies that you know what it takes to create a new business and bring it to success.
  • It implies that you have qualities of an entrepreneurial leader, able to find a direction, see opportunity, and take it.
  • It implies that you are able to manage people and game projects successfully.
  • It implies you know how to work with a budget, make proposals to VCs and publishers, and manage people.
  • And most importantly, it implies that you have money from your earlier ventures.

If those are true, it seems that you would be best served looking for experienced managers (not developers you say) with a relatively inexpensive job listing.

But your posts seem to imply those are not true. That's the source of the confusion.

  • You have a rough estimated budget in Word. I know I don't keep my personal books in Word, and I know the accountants at my current job don't keep them in Word, either. I would imagine a successful business owner would use something more tailored for tracking money and numbers.
  • You are looking for a quality team of people -- and for some reason you are turning your back on the existing, successful, experienced people at Reverie.
  • You want people to work for free on the promise that a venture might someday make some money and give a portion to them.
  • You want a "unique company concept", which implies a lot of risk that a company owner wouldn't usually take.
  • You want an "extremely ambitious multi platform premiere title", something that is also very risky and expensive, and again a risk that experienced business owners rarely take.

Finally, you said...
>> this post however is focused on locating individuals to help develop these business plans, overviews, pro formas etc.

And that one, more than anything else, strikes me as odd.

I don't know of ANY game developers who have titles under their belt AND are independently wealthy (don't need to get paid) AND want to work for somebody else. Generally these people start new companies of their own with their trusted business friends who are similarly successful rather than hoping to find some new person who will become successful. Unpaid positions are the realm of high school and college kids who are looking for an 'in', not something for experienced professionals.

Assuming you have already created successful businesses before, I cannot fathom why you would search for unpaid, hopefully skilled workers and trust the future of the business to them.

While writing and editing this post, I realized what I believe is the true reason.

After a bit of thought I can think of exatly one reason for this. You want a business venture that won't cost you if it fails. By your own description, it is a "very unique studio working on an extremely ambitious multi platform premiere title." That is a VERY risky business venture, and can be expensive.


Now I think I understand:

You want other people to take the majority of the risk, and you get the majority of the profit.

That is not a new and unique business model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There are several books you can likely get at your local library that help you develop these documents and others you need to present to VC types. I would tell you their names but my business partner does the business end of things as I hate it. I would ask him but he's on vacation. Anyways they were, I beleive this was one of them:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1584502142/002-0757979-8227246?v=glance&n=283155

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Mike: Thanks for the input!

@"frob":

You might be surprised by the level of talent I have found rummaging around small boards like these and others. Some extremely talented people have been located from posts similar to this.

Granted however, the level of talent I am looking for I might not be able to locate here. I have already posted ads elsewhere but I have always made it a point to make posts similar to this one on forums as it has never ceased to amaze me the level of talent that can be located from it.

So you know, there was no conflicting information posted. However, apparently you have misunderstood some listed information so I will do my best to clarify some points for you.

1- I am NOT looking for a "quality team of people". Locating quality employees can be done quite easily. No where in this post do I state I am looking for a "quality team of people". I am looking for individuals looking to collaborate on business development. This was stated several times, you just did not grasp it.

2- I am NOT "turning my back on the talented people at Reverie". If you had a corporation you had founded and you were starting another you WOULD know that you should never mix companies that are meant to be individual and unique from each other. Secondly, you WOULD NOT have the most remote of inclinations to pull away a talented team from the work they are already performing. Clearly- you have joined the ranks with Tom as someone who has lots of advice for start up companies who has never sucessfully started one (let alone is currently operating a thriving game studio).

3- Any true entrepreneur knows that no matter how successful he has become- he is always looking out for new and innovative companies to start or work with. So your comment about "not knowing ANY" who were willing to work with/for someone else leads me to question the number of entrepreneurs you actually know.

4- "That is a VERY risky business venture, and can be expensive. "

Yes, quite expensive. The budget currently stands at several million and growing and I already have contacts with both Angel and Venture Capitalists who have ALREADY expressed interest and are waiting quite patiently on me.

4- "You want other people to take the majority of the risk, and you get the majority of the profit."

That was a VERY simplistic and uneducated statement frob. Firstly, this is not a high risk investment for someone to collaborate on business development. There is no monetary risk and the time spent in collaboration on business development is not going to be remotely close to any level of "high risk".

5- "Now I think I understand."

Clearly that is not the case. But if you do have any further questions, I would be more than happy to address them for you frob.

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

Firstly, this is not a high risk investment for someone to collaborate on business development. There is no monetary risk and the time spent in collaboration on business development is not going to be remotely close to any level of "high risk".


Yes, it is high risk. Time is money. Even if this prospective person does not need to invest any money in your startup, by spending time working with you (doing any kind of work) and not getting paid, they are losing money. They could be spending that time working elsewhere getting actual money; it's simply not a safe investment (of their time).

There are only two kinds of people who can work for free like this: students and people who are independantly wealthy. The latter category probably won't be interested (but maybe) and the former category seems like they'd be vastly underqualified for the position you want.

You're right, there are lots of very qualified, intelligent folks on these forums. Because of that, I would suggest refraining from from taking pot-shots at the qualifications and level of experience of the posters who have already replied. It is unwise to make the assumption that anybody you don't know who is offering advice contrary to what you presumably want to hear must have less experience in a field than you. You are very likely to end up with your foot in your mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(Note: I have never started my own company. But I do have a brain in this thick head of mine, and it doesn't take much to see the serious danger in this plan.)

The high risk is in an opportunity cost. Somebody could spend their time working for free and hoping for a paycheck later on, or they could be spending that same time working for money. How do they eat or pay their rent? Basement studios are a group of friends who get together and eat ramen noodles, not professional business ventures.

So heres where I am confused:

- You are looking for an executive level businessman.
- By your own admission, you are not highly experienced in game business.
- You want to start a second studio before your first one has even released a title and proven itself.
- You want experienced people to trust that this is a good enough idea to risk their time and effort without compensation.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@jpetrie: "It is unwise to make the assumption that anybody you don't know who is offering advice contrary to what you presumably want to hear must have less experience in a field than you. You are very likely to end up with your foot in your mouth."

If you could please point out one instance where I said that? I merely asked the level of experience in which these people with such strong opinions had. If someone tells me vehemently they disagree with a business plan of mine, firstly- I would like to know why, and secondly- if I am smart I would like to know how much previous experience they have for such strong opinions. This is mere logic, my foot has never been close to my mouth.

@Joe: "The high risk is in an opportunity cost. Somebody could spend their time working for free and hoping for a paycheck later on, or they could be spending that same time working for money. How do they eat or pay their rent? Basement studios are a group of friends who get together and eat ramen noodles, not professional business ventures."

You are forgetting some major elements and apparently missing things I have already said several times. Granted my posts are long so it could be easily missed.

This is not people developing a game in a basement. As you are probably aware, collarboration on business design documents is not a full time job, or if it is would be for a very limited full time job. Collaboration can VERY EASILY be worked on with great success for literally just several hours a week, especially if multiple people are collaborating together. Far from the statement you used of "serious danger". I could very easily pour an hour a day in the evenings into a business plan with two other gentleman and have one ready in two weeks or less. Having a previous business plan for Reverie as an outline does help of course. But the point remains the same. NOT a high risk investment in any catergory.

"- By your own admission, you are not highly experienced in game business."

Yes, there are many, many, many people far superior than I in the game business. Apparently I am the only one to admit this however among this group of professionals.

"- You want to start a second studio before your first one has even released a title and proven itself."

I would never begin laying the groundwork for a second studio without being 100% confident in the financial stablility of the first. We have multiple deals we can be doing right now with Reverie, it is simply a matter of which. And as I said already, based on my contacts I have already made- I already have investors lined up to review the business plan for the second.

I think most questions have been answered multiple times at this point. So if anyone who is qualified and interested would like to ask any other questions, please forward them to the email address at the top of this post.

I appreciate all the input guys!

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:

If you could please point out one instance where I said that? I merely asked the level of experience in which these people with such strong opinions had. If someone tells me vehemently they disagree with a business plan of mine, firstly- I would like to know why, and secondly- if I am smart I would like to know how much previous experience they have for such strong opinions. This is mere logic, my foot has never been close to my mouth.


Of course you didn't outright say it; my response (and the reponses of others) would have been much less civil in that case. The issue is not that you said it, or even that you meant it (as you claim you did not -- and I believe you). The issue is that the "tone" of your posts (such as it is, being a toneless textual medium) implies it.

When offered advice, turning around and asking others how much experience they have in the subject (you said this to tsloper) or calling their statements uneducated (you said this to frob) suggests a certain hostility, distrust, and/or arrogance.

You are correct in wanting to know how experienced somebody is, of course. You should just be a wee bit more tactful about getting that information, in my experience.

Good luck to you, in any case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I do understand where you are coming from and I was not meaning to sound arrogant or harshly questioning. But the statement of people like Tom you have to admit was sarcastic and critical when they did not have to be. As such, I felt it was necessary to question their experience in the fields to which they were so adament.

I appreciate the insight and apologise to anyone who felt I was trying to be harsh. I was simply trying to gauge the credentials of the people who were offering me advice.

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by tribal_warrior
I appreciate the insight and apologise to anyone who felt I was trying to be harsh. I was simply trying to gauge the credentials of the people who were offering me advice.


Free advice is worth what you paid for it. If you want certified advice from a known and accredited source, I'd advice contacting a lawyer and/or a business consultant. Other advice (including this), should be treated like everything else on the internet; as potentially usefull hearsay.

Good luck with your new enterprise.

Allan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by tribal_warrior
.......But the statement of people like Tom you have to admit was sarcastic and critical when they did not have to be. As such, I felt it was necessary to question their experience in the fields to which they were so adament.

1. Whenever I have a discussion with someone I always check their profile, visit their site, check Google etc - that is a far better way to gauge someone's credentials/experience than asking them.
2. The tone of someone's advice doesn't alter its validity.
3. One of the most useful abilities in life is the ability to accept criticism, no matter how it is worded.

Many years ago my boss and I interviewed someone for a job. After the interview my boss turned to me and in a very angry tone asked "Do you realise you didn't ask a single question?" - meaning that all the questions I asked had easy Yes/No answers or included the answer in the question. I was really shaken, more by his tone than by the words he used. I could have done what a lot of people do in that situation do and start making excuses but I just mumbled "your right" and went back to my office to think about it.

Turns out it was one of the best bits of advice/criticism I ever received. A couple of years later I secured a job with an 80% increase in salary by using what I had learned about interviews to my benefit. That was just the direct financial benefit - I have obviously used that knowledge to better interview people as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wasn't going to touch this thread with a ten foot pole, originally, because of the obvious reasons. Micah's original post is full of contradictions, and while Reverie has a nifty-keen webpage, those are easy to make and don't necessarily mean a company is successful (nor does lack of webpage equal a bad company). I was also suprised Tom wasted so much time arguing with you, and that you called his experience into question. Had you gone to his webpage, you would definitely learn all he knows, know all he did, and know that he's worked in the business for a long time. Depending on your age, you might not have even been born when Tom worked on the first game he did.

Anyhow, I am experienced in running businesses. I can do business plans, reports, etc. Why should I do this for you? Your post is very unclear, and there's several things that set off my business-sense warning bells. Just saying you might be having no luck due to that and might want to clean up your wording. You talk about "true enterpreneur", but I can't figure that a true one would answer to a post that sounds like it was written by a kid trying to sound like an adult. ;)

Now, about the business plan stuff. I didn't study it in school; I grabbed books at the library. Today it's even easier to learn all this stuff off the internet or even get software that will format things for you. You might want to try doing it yourself, which will be beneficial in the long run.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Guyver: I had a positive rating before this but people (do not know who) felt it was necessary to rate me down from this post. Which was not necessary as I have been quite professional the entire time.

@Ellis: Thanks for the advice. If you would look back throughout this post, you will see I in fact went to Tom's website and read his credentials and actually complimented him on his many years in the industry. My question however was on his business development experience or if he had ever founed/run a studio before as his site did not specify. A question he refused to answer.

I have actually worked on a business plan before as I developed the current one for Reverie World Studios Inc. And have developed the Executive Overview for this one. But as this post specifies clearly, Im not asking someone to write me a business plan. Im asking for collaboration with experienced executives.

To clarify as well, I have had success in getting in touch with people, just not from this site. I have been a member of Gamedev for a long time and unfortunately just dont get around to posting very often, I knew this post wasnt going to attract much and I would be lucky if I was contacted by anyone from this post. However, with my history with Gamedev.net and the raw talent I have seen roaming these boards throughout the years, I felt I should post here anyways. I am currently in early seed talks with several companies and individuals.

@Dan: I did not at any point reject the criticism, I simply did what everyone else would have done if they had a response similar to Tom's. Ask them about their level of experience was in the industry they were so vehemently speaking to.

Perhaps directly asking them their experience is not the best, however, from what I learned from my old bosses, the direct approach is usually the best. (Not to mention the most effecient.) I would rather hear someones experience from them then read what someone wrote about them on Google.

I appreciate all the input guys!

Best Regards,
Micah Hymer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic is 4197 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this