• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Starting out on my C++ foot

This topic is 4357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I'm new to game development and I ordered a book on C++. I have my reasons to start out on C++ (and the book I ordered is great or so says 22 people) But should I really start out with something else first like BASIC?

Advertisement
Why not Java or Python then?

Without providing more context about you and your goals, I think it's going to be difficult for people to give you any meaningful advice.

Just my two cents, Java isnt really any better than C++ for begginners, in fact, the whole "main is a static class member" thing, could even confuse them more. But I second the vote for python, python is quite nice, and I think if nothing else, Cyncro, you should give it a look

cheers
-Dan

Python is what people generally advise here as your "learning language". I started with C and it was fine. Starting with C++ is really not that much different from starting with C so from personal experience it's a fine place to start.

-me

Yeah im going to stick with C++ and learn a second language from there. The book is great. I started out today and I am very happy to announce that I executed a succesful Hello World program!

Quote:
Original post by Cyncro
I have my reasons to start out on C++...

If you have your reasons and think they're good, then just go with C++. I did and I am doing alright. Just be patient (which applies to all languages...) and you'll do fine.

The language you start out with dosen't matter much. You're not going to start out with the hardest parts of C++(or any langauge) as the first thing, So if you've got a good reasone and a book, stick with C++, BASIC won't be that much easier in the begining anyway.

Quote:
Original post by Ademan555
Just my two cents, Java isnt really any better than C++ for begginners, in fact, the whole "main is a static class member" thing, could even confuse them more. But I second the vote for python, python is quite nice, and I think if nothing else, Cyncro, you should give it a look

cheers
-Dan

One would think that not having to muck about with pointers, references, memory allocation and deallocation, and mixed C/C++ is an advantage when starting out programming. :D

But I'm not trying to advocate Java per se (even if I am a convert, heh), just pointing out that there are more options than just C++ and Basic. :)

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
One would think that not having to muck about with pointers, references, memory allocation and deallocation, and mixed C/C++ is an advantage when starting out programming. :D

I understand the comment, but nothing says you have to use pointers, references, and other countless 'confusing' (or so accused) features of a language. And I'm not sure I understand the mixed C/C++ comment, because he said he's using C++, which doesn't imply the use of any C, but maybe that's not what you're saying. Books typically do a good job of explaining good practices and advanced topics, though, or at least more so than an online tutorial.

Out of curiosity, which book are you using?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!