• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Project Layout

This topic is 4294 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I've been rethinking the source layout of the project I am working on. It is a client/server based game, and is getting to the point where I will need to begin work on making it cross-platform-build friendly, as well as begin developing the server app. Currently I have the project layout as such:
  /client        -- contains all client source files
    /output      -- contains the root of the end-user directory structure
  /server        -- contains all server source files
    /output      -- contains the root of the server directory structure

The only source files which would be shared between client and server, would be the network, map, and map-object files. Otherwise, each source file is specific to either the client or the server, but not both. I have seen other projects of similar concept (e.g. cross platform, sharing source files across client and server), which use a similar layout, but they usually contain platform-specific directories for Windows .rc files and project files, Linux make files and readme, Mac OS Xcode files, etc. I'm just wondering if there is a usual or customary method of source- and project-tree, which would be more beneficial than the method I've outlined above. Many thanks for your time :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement