Best C++ App?

Started by
9 comments, last by Mushu 17 years, 10 months ago
Whats the best application to use for developing C++? Even if it costs money, I'm willing to buy it if it's good.
- Stunt
Advertisement
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005
:==-_ Why don't the voices just leave me alone?! _-==:
Visual Studio 2005.
Please refrain yourself from asking about "the best"... You will get many opinions that will end up making your brain explode.

Define best. Great debugger? Easy and light-weight? What?
Visual Studio 2005.

It's free too.
I'm sure if you want to spend money that Visual Studio is good. I however have tried the free express edition of Visual C++ and, unlike most, disliked it. It was slow and almost a pain for me to use. I prefer to stick to simple ol' Dev-C++, which is also free. Its so much faster and simpler so that I've found myself more productive with it. On the other hand, maybe if I became proficient with the tools VC++ offers, I'd see the advantage of it. ;)
I like to develope in the Visual Studio 2005 IDE, but I find it usefull to use several different compilers to test the final builds of whatever I'm working on.

Borland and GCC compilers offest MS's nicely, and are free to boot.
Except dev-cpp dosen't have workspaces for when you get to bigger, multiple part projects. Code::Blocks would probably work for you, unless there is a way to get multiple compilers in VS that I don't know about.
For me, it is Code::Blocks (nightly build), it is very lightweight compared to Visual Studio, good support for mulitple compilers (which I need). However, Visual Studio definitely ranks as one of the best IDEs around thanks to its debugger and editor (which are better then Code::Blocks at present).

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Try out Code::Blocks and Visual C++ 2005 Express. Both free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement