Curiosity about the playstation

Started by
7 comments, last by Troll 17 years, 10 months ago
Just wondering, what shader language does the playstation typicly use? I am guessing it's not HLSL so i'm assuming Opengl or Cg?
Indy to Pro: Journeyhttp://phiendstudios.blogspot.com
Advertisement
I remember it use OpenGL or OpenGL ES API.
The PS3 uses Cg as its shader language, and there are two apis you can use on it, one of which is OpenGL/ES based and the other is a lower level proprietary api.
I hear Cg works for both opengl api and Dx9 api, will Cg shaders run on Playstation hardware?
Indy to Pro: Journeyhttp://phiendstudios.blogspot.com
Well NVidia are making the graphics chip for the PS3 so the PS3 SDK may include a Cg compiler for it, but then again it may not. I'm sure they'll have some high level shader language available and it will probably look like Cg even if it isn't (note that GLSL and HLSL are both rather similar to Cg, HLSL and Cg are pretty much identical actually, GLSL is a bit different though).

As for the PS2 and the original PS I have no idea what kind of shader language was available. The orignal PS probably didn't have any programable shaders (at least not as we know them today).
The PS2 doesn't officially support Cg or GLSL or really any open shading language. They didn't exist when the machine was released. In order to get that kind of effect, you'd have to screw around with manually programming its two vector units VU0 and VU1, which has certainly been done.
Vertex Lighting is pretty hot if you're talking playstation!

:P
The PS1 has no shader hardware whatsoever.

The PS2 has no form of fragment shading; in fact, it's fixed-function pixel pipeline is relatively primative. However, the second vector unit can be setup to function very much like a vertex shader; in fact it has rather greater functionality than conventional vertex shaders of the era.

Actually, the PS2 vector units are still more flexible than current generation PC graphics hardware in some ways. The VU can do much more procedurally generating geometry than DX tesselators.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement