Analytical motion blur

Started by
3 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm doing analytical motion blur by changing a sphere to a capsule as the sphere's velocity increases. The problem I have is that I want to gradualy make the capsule transparent along its z axis and I wonder if there is a better way than using a texture with an alpha channel to achieve this. A texture with an alpha channel doesn't look right in some camera angles (looking completely from the top for instance). Any suggestions on how to solve this?
Advertisement
What about per-vertex transparency:

Add color values to each vertex of your sphere/cylinder (via glColor4() preceding your glVertex() calls or some glColorPointer(), etc.) using glBlendFunc(GL_SRC, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC) & glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH).

Another option should be the use of some vertex/fragment shaders...

[Edited by - zimerman on June 16, 2006 7:41:26 AM]
May by use that:
float bf = 0.75f;
bf = powf(bf, 50 * frameTime);
bf -= 0.001f;
glAccum(GL_MULT, bf);
glAccum(GL_ACCUM, 1.0f - bf);
glAccum(GL_RETURN, 1);
Look into either vertex shaders and/or pixel shaders, you will find the solution to you problem there. HLSL, Cg and GLSL are the three in which to concentrate on. HLSL is used for DirectX, GLSL is used for OpenGL and Cg is used for both DirectX and OpenGL but I think it only works on NVidia cards(???)
Quote:Original post by rpg_code_master
Cg is used for both DirectX and OpenGL but I think it only works on NVidia cards(???)

Nope, it works on all cards which support at least the ARB assembler vp/fp extensions, on NV it will make use of their custom extensions if you select the profile and on ATI it'll either use the arb extensions or you can now target GLSL in the most recent version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement