Sign in to follow this  

I want use a hand hold device or smallest machine as my development system

This topic is 4203 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want use a hand hold device as my development system. So, is there any ANSI C compiler can run on it(the hand hold device) and can compile C source file into local executable, and the device support OpenGL/OpenGL ES? Or, which is the smallest machine for my purpose available? Thanks!

Why would you want to do that? A good Dev machine needs a chunk of memory, to avoid disc acess during compilation, decent processing speed to compile the code, which can be quite large, a decent screen res to show everything, A good storage system to hold all the resources, and a decent input system, ie keyboard and mouse.

Why take all that away?

Anyway, don't know of any PDA based compilers, but I imagine its not impossible to find something.

Most practicle "handheld" dev system would probably be a tablet PC of some kind.

Yes, there are a few C and C++ compilers out there that work on the Dragonball and ARM4 chipsets under PalmOS and WindowsCE.

No, I wouldn't recommend it.

Handhelds have slow processors, don't have much memory, have a tiny screen, and have horrible data entry abilities. Even with the fold-up keyboards, typing into a text editor is a pain, even on the high-end VGA resolution devices (480x640) it is hard to see enough text to make it worth the effort.

I have heard of a few people trying it out, and all of them giving it up for serious work. The only person who stuck with it was a friend teaching the basics of programming, who would load up his source from the computer and show it from his handheld on a projector. He only did it because he didn't have a laptop and didn't want to lug around an entire desktop computer for the task.

If your heart is set really on developing on your mobile non-laptop computer, get a TabletPC running Windows XP and install your compiler on there.

This topic is 4203 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.