Help with a 3d-engine

Started by
1 comment, last by Halloko 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi everybody. I''m 16 years old and I''ve been into programming for quite a while now and I''ve been reading a lot of tutorials on making your own 3d-engine. BUT neither of all these tutorials have managed to ecplain EXACTLY how to build your own engine. They all describe vectors, planes, matrices and stuff like that, but they don''t tell how they''re used (and what they are used for). So I figured, when I saw this huge Nehe Site with a lot of great tutorials (I''ve read almost all of them), that there had to be someone who knew about making a 3d-engine. At first I''m satisfied if I can make some boxes (maybe texture them) and then move freely around them (later the more advanced things like Hidden Surface Removal can be implemented. Hope you can help me, ''cause I''ve searched almost the whole web for tutorials and now I just want to get started... THX By the way, I program in c/c++ (and OpenGL) Halloko
Advertisement
I would suggest starting with a cube. If you can get a cube on the screen in software then try getting a cube in hardware, Then try collision and response. When you have collision and response try texturing. When you have these you have a pretty basic engine
and you can move on to the more fun stuff.
There''s alot of reading ahead but set yourself a goal and accomplish that first before moving on, THATS IMPORTANT, it will give you a greater understanding of what is to come.

regards FIGGY
dont feel bad, im 21 been programming for 4 years, and i havent got around to building a 3d engine yet, although i am considering it soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement