Sign in to follow this  

FMOD

This topic is 4201 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone have any good resource for using FMOD? I use it in my game, but the documentation that comes with it seems far too bare-bones to answer some of the questions I have. Attempts to find tutorials and/or documentation resulted in a bunch of sites showcasing custom-made FMOD wrappers, which is hardly what I want. Also, what's the difference between FMOD 3 and Ex? It just seems like Ex is FMOD 3 with better stuff and more features, but the site seems to treat them like different APIs entirely (ie, there's emphasis on them really being two seperate products, not one being the next version of the other.) Thanks :) Edit: While I'm at it... my sound engine keeps track of sound resources currently loaded. In the sound object structure, I keep a pointer to the channel the sound plays in, in order to do stuff like add DSP effects to specific sounds/music. When I change a sound or deinitialize, I first attempt to stop the channel, which returns the FMOD_CHANNEL_STOLEN error in some instances (for instance, the sound has stopped naturally and another sound was played in the meantime.) This is perfectly normal, but the documentation doesn't say wether this is bad or wether I can safely ignore it. Ideally I'd like to always play the same sound object in the same channel (unless otherwise specified) but creating the sound with REUSE instead of FREE still seems to release the channel back into the channel "pool" after the sound stops.

I've always found the examples to be fair, with the documentation provided to be enough to fill in bits. ex (to my knowledge) is just a more object oriented re-write with likely a few things added and a few bugs fixed. The 'alternative API' forum handles programatic FMOD questions from time to time, so that might be a good place to look for your questions (or ask there).

Thanks, in that case can a moderator move this thread there? I wasn't sure where this'd fit in, seeing as most non-algorithmic boards in the programming section were graphic-related. :P

FMOD and FMOD Ex arn't that different. FMOD Ex makes using the library a bit easier to use as well as provides support for a number of alternative languages like C#. As for articles, I strongly recommend you check out A Quick Guide to FMOD by Joachim Rohde.

This topic is 4201 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.