CDX

Started by
3 comments, last by jeanlucpikachu 24 years, 6 months ago
Hi,
I'm using CDX, but only the CDXScreen an d CDXSprite class so that I don't have to worry about DirectDraw surface management, or loading bitmaps.

I'm writing an Isometric RPG but I'm not using their CDXIso class because when you move the view port, it only moves in increments of the tile height/width. So I'm writing my own.

Am I cheating by using CDX? No. I think you should know how DirectDraw works before using something that compleately hides it from you. I have dabbled with DirectDraw'a "raw" APIs and I understand the princible, but for now I want to focus on writing game logic, trigger & event handlers, AI, etc. and I don't want to be bothered with pixel pushing... yet.

The other nice thing is that is you plan on porting your game do a non DirectX friendly enviroment, all you have to do write your own class with the same interface, or better, subclass CDX for DirectX games, and use a different library (subclassed) for others.

hope this helps
-OberonZ

---
PAGE FAULT: Please insert "Swap File, Disk 2"
and press any key to continue.
Advertisement
Exactly what I was thinking >=] I was just slightly worried since no one uses the mailing list. Oh well, I'll let everyone know when my game is done...

------------------
Pika, pika
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
AOL IM: dub0neg

Love & Peace ^_^vCapt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
Hi

I'm also considering using CDX but am having problems setting it up.

I do everything the readme.txt tells me to do, but I get loads of error when compiling any of the examples that come with it.

Any ideas??

Indy

PS I think it's a brilliant library (from the demos i've seen). Absolutely FREE.

Hey, not sure where to post this, but general discussion seems to be a good place...

Does anyone still use the CDX class library? It's has many features and it has a nifty interface (as in what routines to call and stuff). It seems ideal for me since I'm more of an idea man as opposed to being a down to the metal coder.

If anyone is still using CDX, could you please sound off with like any tips you have for it or let me know if there any quirks I should avoid? And more importantly, if anyone is using it, what sort of games are you developing and how much success are you having?

The reason I'm asking about all this is because I'm signed onto the CDX mailing list, and there's absolutely NO conversation on it. It's weird... TIA

------------------

--
Pika, pika
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu

Ok, are you using regular CDX or did you set it up to use DX3 (so you can also run it on NT?) Either way, recompile the libraries themselves (using the project files), then check all your settings to make sure you didn't spell something wrong. If you're using that app wizard thingee to set up your CDX framework, it spelled a library name wrong somewhere in one of the project settings. Does that help?

------------------
Pika, pika
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement