GameBoy Advanced Programming

Started by
21 comments, last by nick5454 17 years, 10 months ago
I want to write a pokemon spin off for my sone on GBA. Can I write it in c#/Directx and when I compile will that be ok? Or what libraries should I use? This is a typical 2D game for the gameboy. I have the schematics for the hardware, so my only question is the libraries I should use. Thanks, Nick
Advertisement
You should be able to find plenty of stuff to get you started here and here

But to quickly answer your questions, as far as I know there is no C# compiler for the GBA, and you can certainly not use DirectX.
You would need the/an sdk for the gameboy as well as a compiler. Odds are your not going to be able to use C# and most definately can't use DirectX.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Program directly to the hardware. The gameboy has a very simple architecture - it's really easy to get stuff running without using any libs.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Program directly to the hardware. The gameboy has a very simple architecture - it's really easy to get stuff running without using any libs.

Quoted for emphasis - there is no need for a library. Why? Because:
1) The hardware has an easy-to understand architecture.
2) An lib/SDK will probably cost you money or display a:
DEVELOPPED WITH THE [NAME] SDK!!!TO BUY THE FULL VERSION SIMPLY CALL          555-5555-555

But the problem is that you can't code in C# and definately can't use DX. You'll be able to use C++ or C fine, though.
Okay so I get the point that its in c++.

But agi said it will cost money. And what not. Where do I get the lib? I dont mind paying for it.

Does that devkit come with a library?

I'm at work so I cant run it right now and would like to get everything together so I can start rocking and rolling.

Thanks,
Nick
The things I linked to are free libs to use, and do not show ANYTHING when you use them. These libs are for homebrew, which means that the legality of it is questionable. But if you're not selling your game(s), you shouldn't have any problem.
where would I find a commercial library?

I plan on eventually going live if something works and would like to find commercial libraries also.

do you know of any?
You're not going to get your hands on a commercial library without being an established game development company, and even then it's very expensive. I believe the site for official Nintendo development is at WarioWorld, if you'd like to read up on it more, but it's not going to be encouraging. You're really best off programming straight to the hardware. It's a great learning experience and it's not so hard as it might seem. I had a lot of fun with it myself.
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
yeah. I read that 2 minutes ago. Seems pretty hard to get one.

I guess I'll go with devkitpro until I think have something worth selling

thanks
Nick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement