Sign in to follow this  

Game Servers

This topic is 4201 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guys, me & my friend are working on a Digimon Online game but we have a problem with the servers. Is there a way to use servers without having to keep the computer on all the time? Like is their a different way to make a server?

Yes, you need to have a server on any time that you want somebody to connect to the game.

Depending on your design, the server might not have to do much. The machine may just be an introducer or lobby, with individual games working on a peer-to-peer system. The server is only needed during the start of a game. Or the server might control all the resources of the complete game, where the server must remain up for the entire game.

Either way, you still need a machine available for the connection to take place.

And incidently, you might want to change the name. The rights to Digimon, Digital Monsters and all their logos, names and distinctive elements are owned by a megacorp. Unless you have a license to it, you are violating trademark law.

by definition the server would have to be on to host the online game. how could people connect to the server if it was off?

the "other" way to do multiplayer games is have any given client able to be the server. this won't work for an MMO style game because in an MMO (where data persists between connections) you need a central database that is "always on". In the type of game where clients can be servers, user data is reset each connection.

-me

This topic is 4201 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.