I wanna make a mario game

Started by
10 comments, last by ouraqt 17 years, 9 months ago
Just finished a brick, breakout game whatever ya wanna call it. I started making a mario game, and found a place where you can get all the maps, backgrounds, sprites from the Super Mario Game, and decided that's what I want to make, but I'm curious how do I use the sprites, and the map as an actual background an actual world? If ya need more info on what exactly the backgrounds,sprites and maps are at this address http://ian-albert.com/misc/supermarioworldmaps.php, take a look at all images, to get a good idea of what i'm talkin about before posting thanks
Advertisement
Those pictures aren't directly in a very useful format for a game. You are going to have to cut out all the pieces you want, reorganize them, and make your own level format, then you can use the pictures as references if you wanted to copy the levels.

Have you used tilemaps?
Boder is correct. You need to find Mario tilesets (Although frankly I prefer people to make original games...) as the images you have found are not going to be very usable without a ton of work.

Here is probally in order what you want to think about:

A) How will your game add to the mario universe, and what concepts/ideas do you want to implement? Get this down first becuase without a clear direction, it is going to be hard to stay motivated on the project.

B) Pick some kind of API. You could use SDL, Allegro, DirectX, OpenGL. You could also use a framework such as PTK or an engine such as Irrlicht or Ogre. Be advised that the common practice now adays is to do 2d graphics in 3d (so you can have 3d acceleration), however this is a bit involved.... You may want to just use a simple 2d API like Allegro or SDL currently however...

C) Locate the graphics that you need, as you will need them in order to actually do anything worthwhile. Get them in a safe place....

D) If your coding in c++ then you will need to write a game engine. You should start the engine slowly at first and break the task down into small chunks. Decide your level format and create a simple level (You could make the map editor at this point, but it may actually cost you time if your not experienced).

E) Get your tiles to display on the screen... You will need to learn the art of scrolling and hopefully you won't make big mistakes (like not having layers :P).

F) If you have the tiles scrolling then you atleast have a start. Now it is time to get your mario sprite working around on the screen and you will need to learn collision detection, platform movements, and animation control.

G) Once you have your mario sprite on the screen and you have your level format, then it is probally time to start coding your enemy AI (you will need to store the positions of the enemies in your map obviously).

H) Once you have enemies then you need to focus on jumping on enemies, adding a UI,coins, and all of that stuff. Naturally you will need to add dynamic elements such as moving platforms, and you will need to have a way to win.

I) Now after you have the flag or whatever you can work on making transitions from one level to the other.

J) If you have ALL of this then it is probally ok to start adding sounds and music.

K) By about this point you probally have recoded the engine (atleast twice), discovered that you have 50+ bugs and you have spent months making a mario fan game. You release it to the public where it is said to be "ok" or if you are lucky it becomes popular and you get a cease and desist order from Nintendo :D.

You now have a complete mario fan game, I hope it was worth the work :).

Osiris from Norway says:
Well all that C++ thing is SO boring! Why not use an easier way? Do exacly what i say. Add me to msn! If u dont have msn u should make an acc. Add: magnushh65@hotmail.com
Wanna tell u: im not born on 65.
Add me and i will tell u how to use "Game Maker"
But that pics isnt usefull... It is parts. I think we have to make some backgrounds self and... get some pics of Mario.
Thnx.
I'd definitely advise not making a Mario game as you will likely receieve a letter (or email) from Nintendo if you ever try to put pictures of it online or release it in any form, free or otherwise. Simply alter a few things and give it a different name and you can make essentially the same game. Good luck!
You'll have to cut up the maps that have been provided into tiles and then use some sort of tile engine to draw them. Tiles are actually how the NES draws so fast -- everything is an 8x8 tile! Same with the GBA (though I think that's a bit bigger).

I'd also recommend not directly copying Nintendo's assets, as I just got finished talking to a Nintendo of America lawyer about another GDNet member who was using them. Once you write the tile engine (jnrdev might be useful for this) you can let your creativity run wild. [grin]
Using GameMaker is a silly idea, and a waste of time. Sure you could make a Mario game easier in GameMaker, however what is the point? You are not learning anything worthwhile from the process, and you are just making another fan game!

If you have to make a Mario game, I advise you to do it the hardest way possible, as the stuff you learn will make it worth the time.
Quote:Original post by shadowisadog
Using GameMaker is a silly idea, and a waste of time. Sure you could make a Mario game easier in GameMaker, however what is the point? You are not learning anything worthwhile from the process, and you are just making another fan game!

Game and level design are important skills to acquire.

Quote:If you have to make a Mario game, I advise you to do it the hardest way possible, as the stuff you learn will make it worth the time.

Which explains the low number of projects that ever get completed.

And, who writes games by directly writing binary machine code these days anyway?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Kudos to the one who implements mario in brainf**k though.

Im going to argue somewhat against what some people said here, start with the mario tileset, or some other tileset you can aquire for free on the web. Why? because it will help keep you motivated that it looks better then crappy programmer art! Once you have the engine running, it should be a cakewalk to remove the content and add in your own. And no lawyer is going to sue you for using the art in such a manner, so long as you dont offer downloads of it (so just dont offer downloads or screenshots to the public untill you have some decent programmer art ready).

EDIT: I am refering to no downloads / screenshots at all untill you have your own artwork. it doesent matter if you are selling it or giving it away free, its still illegal, so just dont do it. But your welcome to use it on your own in your own house, for your own viewing only, untill you can replace it. (I suppose legaly you probably should own the GAME first, but then again, who DOESENT own mario....)
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
Im going to argue somewhat against what some people said here, start with the mario tileset, or some other tileset you can aquire for free on the web.

Except for the fact that it's illegal. There *are* free tilesets out there, no need to go for one you don't have the right to use.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement