• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nazrix

Doing fades and such in 16-bit using look-ups

This topic is 6483 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to use this article on GDNet to do a fade using look-up tables. Although I understand the premise, I am not really sure about the implementation. Here's where I initialize the lookup table. The idea is that the first element is the colors and the second is 20 the increments of the fade.

USHORT clut[65537][21];

int clutx, cluty;

for (clutx=0; clutx<65536; clutx++)   
{
  for (cluty=0; cluty<20; cluty++)        
  {
	  clut[clutx][cluty] =(int) (clutx * (float)(cluty/20));    
  }
}

Here's the function that does the lookup and does the fade.

void ApplyFade(int pct, USHORT* fadebuffer, int pitch)
{
  int x, y;
  USHORT* temp = fadebuffer;
  int jump = pitch - 200;
  int index;

for (y=0; y<200; y++)
  {
    for (x=0; x<200; x++, temp++) // move pointer to next pixel each time

{
	  index=pct/5;
     *temp = clut[*temp][index];
    }

// move pointer to beginning of next line

temp+=jump;
  }
}

All that happens is it crashes back to windows when I perform the fade. Is this code anywhere near correct?
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers
Edited by - Nazrix on February 17, 2001 6:41:06 PM

Advertisement
I''m at work at the moment, getting paid to sit on my ass and do nothing, but when I get home I''ll send you some code. It''s not exactly the fastest thing in the world but it works... maybe we can figure out how to speed it up a bit.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Down with Tiberia!!

Iron,

Great

I''ll look forward to that. A long time ago, you explained this a bit. As helpful as it was, I am still a bit shaky about it.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!