• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Angelus

Planet Physics

This topic is 6993 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering what happened to the physics board?

Anyways, I have question relating to the material of a Planet's physics. I have the formula to find the orbit of an object (mainly a comet), given an x,y position and an x,y velocity.

x acceleration = -GMx/r^3
y acceleration = -GMy/r^3

where G is Newton's Gravitational Constant, M is the mass of the Sun (which I'm not too sure of), x, y is the position of the planet, and r is the distance from the object to the sun.

However, I'm not sure where to find the x, y position and velocity of a planet so I can use the formula above.

I am actually trying to simulate the orbit of the planets using Direct3D, and can't find a way to calculate the orbits. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!