• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cobra

Help.... I can't get fog to set on a z axis...

This topic is 6386 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I think someone else had this kind of problem some time back, but the topic dissappeared before I could read any of the replies given to him. Basically, I want it so that fog is enabled say 50.0f away from the central position. However, it doesn''t seem to matter what value I give it, the fog just doesn''t seem to want to start 50 away. I am using Nehe''s tutorial directly in my program, so there are 3 filters on it. I am aware that GL_EXP and GL_EXP2 are both designed to totally fill the area. However, the last filter GL_LINEAR is supposed to work based on the GL_FOG_START and GL_FOG_END values. I hope someone here can help me with this. ( maybe the person who had problems with it before can fill me in on how he fixed it in his program ) Hope you can help.. Thanx in advance. ~Cobra~

Advertisement
I just had a quick look through the tutorial again, and I noticed that the GL_FOG_START value is how far away the fog starts.

In other words, it''s supposed to be how far away ( on the z axis ) the fog starts. So basically, it should already work. For some reason though, GL_LINEAR fog filter refuses to work for me.

If I''m using GL_EXP it just fogs out the screen.
If I''m using GL_EXP2 it does the same thing, but looks better.
If I''m using GL_LINEAR then there is no fog. But when I turn fog off, you still notice a slight change in brightness within the level. So what''s that all about???

I really hope someone can help me with this. It''s just a nice little effect to add around the edges of my world, but I really do need it...

Thanx in advance.

~Cobra~

WOO HOO, solved it.....

For some reason, GL_LINEAR just wasn''t working as a fog filter in my original coding.

I removed ALL of my fog code, and rewrote it in, but this time I DIDN''T include GL_EXP or GL_EXP2. I just had ONE fog mode, GL_LINEAR ( seeing as it''s the only one I need ), and I removed the filter toggling code, and voila, it works

NICE!

Anyone else having trouble with the fog should probably try this. It only takes a few minutes, and it solved it perfectly.

So my advice to anyone having problems with the fog code:

1) Remove all the fog code.
2) Rewrite it in, except this time ONLY use GL_LINEAR ( seeing as it''s the only one that works on depth ).

That should fix it. If it doesn''t, then a sledgehammer usually does the trick

~Cobra~

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will have warmth for the rest of his life.

>>Rewrite it in, except this time ONLY use GL_LINEAR ( seeing as it''s the only one that works on depth ).<<

they all work on the pixels depth value.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

I meant that GL_LINER is the only one that uses the GL_FOG_START value to set how far away the fog begins.

GL_EXP just fogs out the whole screen.
GL_EXP2 does the same, except makes it look better.

From what I could tell from the coding ( and the tutorial ), out of the three, only GL_LINEAR uses the GL_FOG_START value.

That was all I meant.

~Cobra~

Edited by - Cobra on February 18, 2001 4:04:35 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!