[web] Page Navigation?

Started by
2 comments, last by ArchG 17 years, 10 months ago
Im just trying to figure out what the best page navigation structure for a website is? I would like some suggestions for different techniques such as: includes, frames, all single pages, etc... Im using ASP (classic) and I want my navigation to be as simple, but effective as possible.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by phb5000
Im using ASP (classic) and I want my navigation to be as simple, but effective as possible.

Then you are a fool. Do not use an obsolete technology.

ASP is still being supported by Microsoft... for the moment. Sooner or later they may decide to drop it.

Mark

Yes, I know, i hate working with ASP, but here is my situation

My web host is *itching about updating to asp.net 2.0!!! Which is driving me crazy since I cant develop any asp.net 1.1 in web developer express. And I really dont feel like chaning web host atm.

So could I please get some suggestions for good page navigation, doesnt have to be language specific. :)
Hello,
I can't offer much help on the page navigation...but...

my webserver didn't use to have ASP.net 2.0 support either..only 1.1, and I still used Visual Web Developer Express..

to make the pages work, there is a couple steps..

(assuming you create a regular web form with the code in a seperate file...like blah.aspx, and blah.aspx.cs)

1. In the <%@Page %> Directive on the top of the .aspx page, I had to change CodeFile="blah.aspx.cs" to Src="blah.aspx.cs"

2. In the blah.aspx.cs (or .vb) file, remove the using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts; line.

3. In the "public partial class Blah : System.Web.UI.Page" Line, erase the word partial..making it "public class Blah : System.Web.UI.Page"

4. Make sure you use no functions/controls that are specific to ASP.net 2.0 (like the login controls)..(there's not a whole lot of differences)

----
I don't know if you even care, but if you were interested in using Visual Web Developer Express with ASP.net 1.1...that's how I did..

Also, about page navigation, I always like the sites like this type navigations the best...It's all single pages, but the author of that site i'm pretty sure uses master pages (asp.net 2.0)...if you are using ASP Classic, it's not really that hard to do either through some includes

Hope this helps ya a bit
ArchG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement