2D Game Sprites

Started by
16 comments, last by Survival2020 23 years, 1 month ago
oommmoo
you have to set the option (some checkbox around the offset filter) to "replace" (or something like that), then it will wrap around, otherwise it´ll just cut the selection.
Advertisement
Can you explain that with a little more detail because that is the only thing keeping me from finishing up my tiles.
ok, i´m assuming that youre using ps5.x or 6.0 ... i dont know anything about lower versions:

go to filters>other>offset

then you get a submenu, where you can enter vertical and horizontal offset, and below that are 3 checkboxes where you specify what to do with the undefined areas. these 3 are: fill w background color, repeat edge pixels and replace with moved parts (or something like that, it´s late and i´m translating from the top of my head).
and don´t forget to turn the preview on

that should do it
''ello,

anyone have any suggestions on keeping image files
Small-small?
I''m using an old school tool to make sprites and the
files are small, but its unstable so there is the risk of losing
some of my work.

Thanks ''all
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt
lupine, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you just want to keep the files small, compress them using a known algorithm like LZW and uncompress them when you load them into your game (like in your LoadBitmap routine our whatever you call it).

If you are trying to save memory when running your game, that is a different matter. For that you should check out run-length encoding for your sprites (RLE).

-Pyabo
Thanks Pyabo,
basically in PS6 or Adobe Image ready(photoshop)
How can I keep the memory of my .Gif''s small.
I can produce 40x40 sprites (256 colors_
in an old dos tool the resulting .bmp''s
are 4k how can I acheive similar results in
the newer tools? any tips would help
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt
The size your files take up is almost completely dependent on the resolution of your image.

In the case of BMP (bitmap) files, they are not compressed at all, so a 40x40 image means 1600 pixels times 1 byte ( in 256 color mode) means only 1600 bytes. If they were 4K in size I guess there was some overhead for the .bmp format (like the color palette).

In the case of 16-bit images you need two bytes per pixel in 16 color bmp format. So a 64x64 tyle will take up 4096 x 2 bytes = 8192 bytes.

If your images are too large (taking up too much HD space?) then obviously they are rather big in screen dimensions -- adjust the resolution using the image tools.

Hey

Does anyone want to join a new games company? Redwood Studios are looking for artists, programmers, musicians, the works. If your interested, go to
http://members.fortunecity.com/redwoodstudios
we sell the software as shareware, so once a game is published, you''ll be payed, oh goodie. We are currently making a 2D RPG similar to Zelda or Final Fantasy, in 16-Bit consoles.#
Please visit our site if you want to join us.
Gabriel Stuart CEO of Redwood Studios

Games are real fun to play, and even funner to make! Join us!
Games are real fun to play, and even funner to make! Join us!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement