GLUT vs Others

Started by
0 comments, last by Brother Bob 17 years, 9 months ago
I used to work with GLUT some time ago, but switched to SDL for a single fullscreen reasons( like everybody does). However, I now miss the functionality offered by GLUT in terms of glutSolidSphere etc. It would be a plight for me to attempt drawing a sphere. Another question that may not belong here: If you want to be a game programmer, is it necessary to learn all the Graphics and AI algorithms by heart? I mean, when you would go for an interview (or even for hobby reasons), are you expected to know all this, or being able to use some Library like GLUT is also OK? And speaking of library, is there some graphics library that offers lot of shapes like spheres, cuboids, toroids etc only by function calls?(for Windows.) Too many questions, I guess. ;)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by horizon981
I used to work with GLUT some time ago, but switched to SDL for a single fullscreen reasons( like everybody does).

Everybody but me I suppose. What "fullscreen reason" are you talking about? GLUT can do fullscreen. glutFullScreen for cheap fullscreen mode, or the game mode for more advanced control of resolution. Check some documentation. Clicky

However, I now miss the functionality offered by GLUT in terms of glutSolidSphere etc. It would be a plight for me to attempt drawing a sphere.

Actually, these function doesn't really require GLUT to be initialized and can be used stand alone. You can use them in your SDL application if you like, although you have to link the GLUT libraries aswell. Dirty solution, but it works untill you have a better solution.

Another question that may not belong here: If you want to be a game programmer, is it necessary to learn all the Graphics and AI algorithms by heart?
I mean, when you would go for an interview (or even for hobby reasons), are you expected to know all this, or being able to use some Library like GLUT is also OK?

A good programmer can read documentation.

And speaking of library, is there some graphics library that offers lot of shapes like spheres, cuboids, toroids etc only by function calls?(for Windows.)

I assume there are some, although I don't know any, sorry.

Too many questions, I guess. ;)

You make it sound like it's a bad thing... [rolleyes]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement