[help] A newbie question about mesh in 3dsmax

Started by
8 comments, last by dongio 17 years, 9 months ago
I have modeled a character. Now i want to merge the left side with the right side but i couldn't find the button to do this... I am using 3dsmax 6. Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
clone - mirror - weld. Search your documentation for how these work.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
I don't have 3D max installd right now sow this instruction will be a little beat intuitiv:
what you need to do miror your mech object then unite two objects under one mech
then select edge mech pints and weld it with auto weld where you can select a distance of welding points or just weld it one by one wit manual weld I hope I'll instol max today and gave you exact directions.
and to unite the meshes use 'collapse'
Quote:Original post by red_produkt
and to unite the meshes use 'collapse'

that is what weld does. once the you copy the other half of the mesh, then attach it to your original mesh, you simply select the verts in the center and say weld, while adjjusting the weld threshhold and it will connect all of the verts together, effectivly closing your mesh and connetcing the two.

-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
ah yeah you could use attatch instead of collapse, it just seemed no-one mentioned that step of how to combine the seperate meshes- collapse isn't what weld does though

edit: when I say mesh I mean object and I guess you're meaning sub-object :)
Quote:Original post by red_produkt
ah yeah you could use attatch instead of collapse, it just seemed no-one mentioned that step of how to combine the seperate meshes- collapse isn't what weld does though

edit: when I say mesh I mean object and I guess you're meaning sub-object :)

he is talking about having half of the character mesh/object. so you mirror-copy that half, go to edit poly, attach that new half to the other, select edit verts mode, select all the verts from straight down the middle from both the two halfs, then select weld... now they're one complete mesh.
so i was talking about both whole seperate objects and sub-object.
I know:) above my post was:
Quote:miror your mech object then unite two objects under one mech

and since it wasn't mentioned how, I wrote
Quote:and to unite the meshes use 'collapse'

of course 'attatch' does the job too but I'm used to collapsing as often as possible since left over stack history can cause export problems.
edit; nm, i see what you are tlaking about, i still say use attach though and then collapse all modifiers before export. but its all preference.
you can select bouth sides convert it to editible poly then select middle point and weld it with WELD button or with target weld manually, pint by point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement