• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Old School Side Scrollers Techniques

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I am searching for information on how old school side scrollers handled collision, I mean on the 8 bit era or even 16bit, the consoles didnt have a fast processor for complicated collisions algorithms, I know that sprite x sprite collisions can be doing using a simple bounding box, but what about collisions sprite x map , where the map can have varios angles of slopes, do you remember sonic on the genesis, where the ground was very "wavy" and sonic goes up and down, wherever the ground change the height? And what about jumping algorithms.. I was trying to do some jump algorithm like the mario ones.. I mean if you tap the button you will not jump as high as if you keep the button pressed.. Hope you all understand.. if not, ask me.. All help will be appreciated.. BlitX

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!