• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ardus

How does WoW's post-process smoothing shader work?

This topic is 4533 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was asking about a smoothing shader in: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=399427 But I decided to start another topic since the previous one wasn't really being monitored anymore. Anyone know how the WoW smoothing shader works? I know it's post-proces, but how does it make the horizon so smooth, yet not really affect the character's that are up close? Are there post process techniques specific to rendering just the terrain, fog, etc? While WoW doesn't have the prettiest graphics, the "smoothness" of it all is very impressive. I don't want to follow in the "bloom" and "glow" look of so many other games; I'd rather learn how WoW smoothed out the presentation of their world and pursue a similiar course. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Ardus
how does it make the horizon so smooth, yet not really affect the character's that are up close?

One way to do it is to render the scene into a "position-map" (a depth texture), and use that as input in the smoothing shader or as alpha values on the blurred scene.

The DirectX SDK sample Post-Processing does something similar (or identical, can't really remember).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!