• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

borland c++ builder

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering if anyone uses Borland C++ Builder IDE (either 2006 or 6.0) for game development? Why, or why not. I love Gvim for editing, but I find when a project gets large, the project management and debugging features of an IDE become indispensible. We use MSVC at work, but I am curious about how many people use Borland's tools. I know a lot use the free 5.5 compilers, but I mean the IDE. I am downloading the trial version right now, to test myself. ~S

Advertisement
I personally preferred Borland's compilers over MSVC for quite some time. Then Borland went through like something like three different reorganizations, dropped the priority of the compiler business and then went insane with their pricing models. Basically, the current crop of Borland compilers are not competitive in terms of features for their price and theres a basic lack of confidence in future product support and development. At least that's my reasoning.

*very* early impressions:
- users 1/2 the memory of Visual Studio.
- I am not nuts about the type anywhere editor, and there does not seem to be an option for changing this.
- project management is not a lot different than MSVC. Although in msvc 2005 you can (finally) rename a file, while I can't find a way to do this in builder.
- refactoring did not work for me (but this is not even available for MSVC++)
- Debugger seems nice. I don't see that it offers much different from any other debugger, but I wasn't debugging anything heavy.

For a real evaluation, the product should be used for a week of work, I don't really have the time right now, maybe later...

Be warned, my finding are based on 1 hour worth of workinng with it, and should not be viewed as conclusive, or even 100% accurate.

~S

I personally love C++ Builder 6. I think it is much better than Visual Studio for creating windows based apps with extensive guis. But I much prefer Visual Studios project file organization window, where you can create folders, place files in them, ect..

I also prefer Visual Studio's compiler and project settings. It just seem that Visual Studio gives you more options for compilation optimizations.

I would like to see Microsoft buy Borland's IDE and incorporate its ease of use when it comes to building GUI apps into Visual Studio. That would be a great product!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by soconne
I would like to see Microsoft buy Borland's IDE and incorporate its ease of use when it comes to building GUI apps into Visual Studio. That would be a great product!

They did, sort of... They hired Borland's chief talent, Anders Hejlsberg - the man behind Turbo Pascal, Delphi and (since it's Delphi for C++... C++ Builder).

Soon thereafter Microsoft released .NET.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!