• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mabe

free fast 2D library / engine?

This topic is 4437 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've programmed for a very long time (mostly in C++), but I never had to do anything graphical. Now I do. I'm looking for a 2D library / engine / whatever that at least has the following features: - alpha blending - scaling - rotation - must be fast! (so it would need to have an OpenGL or DX backend, I think) - usable on Windows and Linux - free (can be GPL, ...) I'm not developing a game or the like, but I think a game programming page is a good place to ask that question.

Advertisement
http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/
Allegro is a simple library which can do that stuff and more. You have to download AllegroGL if you want to use OpenGL with this library.
http://www.libsdl.org/
SDL is a more advanced library which can do that stuff and it supports OpenGL out of the box.

I think Haff's Game Engine would meet those requirements - it's definately worth a look in any case. //EDIT: Sorry, missed the Linux part initially, HGE is Windows only.

SDL or Allegro are also both potential options, but they're libraries rather than engines, meaning you'd be doing more of the programming yourself.

Quote:
Original post by mabe
I'm not developing a game or the like, but I think a game programming page is a good place to ask that question.

Take a look at my reply here for one option of getting what you need done pretty quickly.

I do have (ugly) working code that uses it all, but I've yet to make a library out of it. If you're interested just let me know. Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by mabe

- alpha blending
- scaling
- rotation
- must be fast!

Use a 3D API. To simulate 2d all you need to do is render textured quads and use an orthogonal projection matrix.

For Linux support this means no DX. So that pretty much leaves you with OpenGL. Use SDL to obtain an OpenGL context. Its about 100 time easier than using both Win32 and the Linux specific equivalent at the same time

Quote:
Use a 3D API. To simulate 2d all you need to do is render textured quads and use an orthogonal projection matrix.

For Linux support this means no DX. So that pretty much leaves you with OpenGL. Use SDL to obtain an OpenGL context. Its about 100 time easier than using both Win32 and the Linux specific equivalent at the same time

So I need to learn the OpenGL-API? Nobody has written an abstraction layer based on OpenGL to make 2D-blitting easy and compfortable?

Well I looked through this forum and found hxRender, which seems to exaclty do that. Seems pretty simple. SDL to get the OpenGL-context, as you suggested and a simple abstraction to do the basic 2D blitting stuff I'm looking for.

But It seems not to be developed any longer. But maybe it's good enough as is.

oh, BTW, thanks so far :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!